My Children call it "Momma's Shawl"





It feels cold this morning, dampness creeping in the open windows but I can't imagine closing them... the coolness feels so good, invigorating. I grabbed my wool socks and my shawl this morning as I dressed. There is a old time coziness to wearing a shawl. Mine, well loved by my daughters too. The very kind of fondness that makes them say things like, "mom, will you leave this to me in your will" and said with a smile, "when you're gone, I want that shawl". Not said in a bad way, but in a way that says, it will be good to always be wrapped in your love mom. It is Gray wool with a row or two of dark red. I Crocheted it about 16 years ago, maybe longer, I am not sure. Simple pattern. Snuggly warm. It has warmed sick children, made many quick trips to the barn in kidding season, covered me snuggly when an extra trip to the woodshed is needed on very cold days. It is more of a friend of sorts than just a piece of clothing. It has covered my head in moments of deep prayer, it has stretched and embraced a child on either side of me during story time or when childish arguments needed to be settled.
This shawl is part of our family and today I wore it for the first time this season. It hangs from Autumn until Spring on the peg in the living room. Always handy for those mad dashed outside to bring the clothes in off the line when rain threatens, or for fast trips to the hen house for that one more egg needed for a certain recipe.
This old shawl that has given much in its time and today as I sit and spin, have a cup of Cherry Vanilla tea, it once again gives warmth. It will go with me this morning as I bring in some wood for the first fire of the season.
music of the morning....
Winter Solstice by Windham Hill (yes I am rushing the season a bit)
Smoky Mountain Home Place
Clothing of the day....
Long blue and tea stained plaid skirt
Thermal shirt, well loved, well worn, LLBean,
Blue and tan bulky knit wool socks
And of course, THE shawl
Food of the morning.....
Cherry Vanilla Tea
Toast with home made plum jam
All around a pretty perfect morning, especially after a surprise visit from my beloved as he had an errand in town. He kissed me on the cheek, pronounced me "his beautiful girl" mentioned the temperature of the house with the windows open and had to scoot back to work, but those are the moments of surprise that makes you smile all day long.

Comments

Dawn said…
Oh what an heirloom that shawl is! Praise God for and praise God for it being passed down thru the generations! It looks warm alright!
It's been in the 30's in the mornings here in Germany. Brrr. :) I love it though! I love cuddling under my flannel sheets and fleece blankets and being all toasty. ;)

I have ya beat, I have been listening to Christmas music since the beginning of September. :) Normally I begin in August, but I was late this year :)

Bless You!
TO BECOME said…
This is my first visit to your blog and I felt right at home. I loved your post for today. The things that belonged to my mama and grandmama are most precious to me. It has just this last hour got cold for the first time this year. My husband came home for lunch and he was all smiles as he said, "I love it." His smile was all the warmth that I needed for this day.

I am so glad you came to visit my blog and left a comment and I am pleased to meet you. Come again anytime. connie fromTexas
... Paige said…
Funny you mention the Plum jam. I keep telling my honey, how good it is and can't find any in the stores to prove it.
Chilly here for a change. I suppose it will be over tomorrow.
Patty said…
Now Dawn : ) this is not my first listen to christmas music. But you still have me beat. I have lots of german and swedish christmas music that I love dearly and about 3 weeks ago I had a listen to them !
Just love christmas : )
Patty said…
Glad you stopped in for a visit Connie, I see you are a fellow Texas resident !
Patty said…
Hi Paige,
I make plum jam just about every year from our trees. So sweet and so good and perfect for plum tarts !
Patty said…
Oh the shawl was made by me, its my own daughters that are wanting it when I pass on : ) They have loved it since they were little
Cathy said…
It's a beautiful shawl, Patty. I can imagine the wonderful memories it holds.
I long for some cooler weather here. Our high was the upper 80's today. It still feels like summer.
Mimi said…
I can imagine the love your daughters feel when they see the shawl.... there are probably some great memories associated with it!!!

Popular Posts