Thinking Back to Kindlier and More Gentle Times


Maybe its the music I am listening to, or the pictures I was looking at, whatever sparked my thoughts today, they are a bit melancholic. Not sad, but more of a longing for days gone by. So well I remember my grandmother, so perfectly prim and proper telling my sisters and I what is expected of "good breeding". She spoke of a time when people held their unkind thoughts to themselves, as it wasn't proper to discuss them. Maybe they were not " in touch" with their emotions, I don't know if they ever thought about that to be honest. People acted with civility for the most part. There are always exceptions and I know that, but people were outwardly kinder. Respect was alive and well. We traded that in for "do your own thing" and "getting real". But no one is happier now. So not sure if all this speak you mind thing is working well for us. I wish we would be gentler with one another.
Just for the record, nothing happened today to make me feel this way. I have not been offended or had anyone be unkind to me. Quite the contrary actually. I have had all kind people around me today !

I was putting away some antique linens and thinking about the time period in which they were made. Even in my parents generation, the work place was one that held in high esteem those with years of experience and they were respected. Now, older employees are chaff to be held up to the wind and cast off, easily. Seats are not offered to woman and the elderly by young men with regularity.
No longer do women turn their heads away from seeing violent and ugly scenes to keep their minds sheltered from the worlds ugliness.
Yes, I know it seems I am wanting to be very old fashioned here and its true I am. Maybe we are more open than we ought to be with things that should be held in the tender private places of our hearts. Maybe some tea and a cookie will ease this longing for mankind to take a step back in one area of life and be kinder, less outspoken, more honorable and certainly more ethical.


My maternal grandmother Alexandra Mae Neil Heckbert and her brother Harris Ford Neil (Unk to me) taken about 1907. Both born in Noel, Nova Scotia

Comments

Finn said…
Hi Patty, great post..*S* I think there are some major shifts in recent generations. Betsy and I were talking about this awhile back. It seems as if those of us born in the 1940's into early 1950's are the last of those kinder and gentler times. We are the one who took what life dished out, bit the bullet, worked hard, played fair, didn't take more than our share, and had time enough to be friends and help others. Guess what started the conversation was that I don't understand how it can be that so many younger people don't take responsibility for themselves and their actions. Blowing off debt, promises, contracts as if nothing was binding whatsoever. No one seems to think they need to account for anything anymore. I didn't do that to my kids, born in the late 1960's through mid 1970's... and my kids children aren't old enough yet to qualify. Which leaves me with the idea it must be the children of our younger brothers and sisters who began to let everything "go". I don't know. But I do know I miss being part of a caring world. And when you find a sliver of it,here and there, nurture it and appreciate it..ir's getting rarer and rarer. Maybe we think too much?? Hugs, Finn

Popular Posts