There Was A Man In My Closet

O.K. its true this picture was a set up. Emery is a good sport and consented to letting me set up this picture to go along with what I wanted to write about. To give you a visual. Have a laugh or two. Funny thing is this man never wears tee shirts, he is a dress shirt man 100% of the time. Not even a polo shirt to be found in his closet. But that is another story. He is classy all the way.
This week on a list I belong to, the conversation was about "getting the man out of your closet". Simply, getting rid of the clothes that you own that a man could and would wear.
It is about being feminine, being chic, being modest, whichever phrase you choose and for whatever reason you choose, women just look better in clothes that are feminine.
So having this light bulb moment of "getting the man out of my closet", I went through my dresser and found lots of tee shirts, actually purchased in the men's department. I liked the men's simply because they are longer in length and covered more of me.
With this new approach of, " if a man will wear it then dump it" I started watching what the ladies are wearing in my area. It appears that 80% or so wear loose fitting tee shirts, polo shirts, and pants that are jeans, khakis and sweat type pants. Shoes were just about the same, sneakers and flip flops, some hiking boots too. And honestly, men's tee's with long skirts are well, still like having the man in your closet.
There was one young woman that stood out of the crowd of shoppers and she was so chic, cute, feminine, whichever term you choose.
Capri's, a cute little top, and sandals with a small heel.
Its really something to think about, this "man in your closet thing".
There is something good about looking good. Changes how you feel about yourself and how others see you.

Renewed concepts for me after years of cape dresses and head coverings.
So the the "man clothes" are gone. Replaced by more chic and feminine items. Some days I really long for the "lazy" clothes but its like any old habit, you can get past it.

Comments

Sandra said…
Excellent post Patricia. I like the idea of "getting the man out of my closet". It gives me a good reference point for my wardrobe, thanks!

I was a bit of a tomboy growing up but in the last few years I've really become more "girly" (for lack of a better word). Don't know why but I like it!

Sandra
Marci said…
Pat, what a great guy you have. Being willing to pose for your photos.

You will have to show us some pictures of the new you!!
La Tea Dah said…
Great post! There are no men in my closet, but I will admit that when I'm desiring a comfy day at home --- there's a woman in my husband's closet!
copperswife said…
Wonderful post, good food for thought. I gave up the jeans a few years ago, but the t-shirts with skirts? guilty. Interestingly, I've recently been trying to think how I could dress more lady-like without being frumpy, and yet remain modest. Stylish without trying to dress too young for my age. Your post has been inspirational to think more along these lines.
Kathie said…
Thanks so much for the reminder, it was something I needed. I tend to wear feminine clothes most of the time but am guilting of putting on a man's t-shirt and a skirt for chores instead of just wearing an apron over my more feminine clothes.
Inga said…
I think I'll go straight up and empty my closet as well. Thanks for the inspiration

Inga
Genuine Lustre said…
I gave up jeans and unisex tees several years ago and would never go back.
Am currently planning to look feminine on a 2 week camping trip in the Tetons!

Popular Posts