Cafe Breakfast at Home

One doesn't need to run off to a restaurant to have certain dinning experiences. A few touches here and there and you can have just about any atmosphere you want.
One of my favorite things to do is to eat at little sidewalk cafe's and watch people. Its too hot today to go anywhere, even though its just morning. Besides, taking off to town 35 miles away to have a bite to eat outside is sort of silly. The gas alone for the trip would be more than the breakfast.
We have a small cafe table in our living room for romantic little meals. Its so much fun to sit right across from one another and talk and small tables allows for hand holding and a game of footsies !
Well, this morning the table is by the window that faces the street. I moved it since furniture is being delivered tomorrow and I am getting things out of the way for the delivery men.
I pulled up the mini blinds, sat at the table and watched cars go by and people walking here and there. This is a university town, so many students walk to and from class. It was like being outside people watching but it was certainly cooler being inside.
My meal was light, fried egg with asiago cheese sprinkled on top, some tomato slices fresh from the garden, a mimosa (how decadent is champagne for breakfast with your orange juice ? ) and of course a piping hot press full of espresso. I watched the sun dance like golden fairy footprints on the tiny leaves as they bounced in the gentlest of a breeze. Shadows falling across the road making it look like a giant blackboard with many erasures. Shades of blacks and grays, almost smudged looking.
Josh Groban sang to me as I ate. Talk about atmosphere !
During this peaceful time I reminded myself how wonderful it is to have nothing pressing me to leave the house, no appointments, no schedules. Just free and easy time, in which flexibility is the master.
For me, that is just the best way to be spoiled, hummm, maybe a long bubble bath is next on the agenda. Maybe today is time for another viewing of Under the Tuscan Sun, to remind myself to live spherically in many directions and with childlike enthusiasm. Such profound wisdom. Who needs to be all grown up acting all the time ?

Comments

Marci said…
I love asiago cheese. I have never had it on eggs though. Maybe my lunch today should be eggs with asiago!!
R. Aastrup said…
Under the Tuscan Sun...one of my favorite movies, too. The book, as usual, gives more and deeper perspectives...

Popular Posts