Winter is Back


After spending a couple days with the windows and doors open, it feels extra cold this morning. Winter is not quite ready to make her exit, which is fine as long as we get at least one snow fall out of this return of chilly weather.
When I was a wee one, all of 4 feet tall, the snow was so deep. Heaps of the white stuff on either side of the sidewalk as tall as any proper mountain range. I thought for years that it must have snowed more in those days, forgetting to take into consideration that I was about a foot shorter than I am now. Winter seems so magical. The earth, covered in white sparkling crystals. Dream like is the silence, the hush, that accompanies this blanket of purity. Of course I remember the down side, the driving in it, the shoveling of it, but still the beauty remains if you choose to look at it, choose to take a walk out in it, bundled up against the cold.
My idea of a perfect trip would be to find a cabin in the mountains, snow everywhere, sip hot chocolate by a big fireplace, snow shoes hanging up, ready to be used. Of course Emery is more the sun filled beach with palm trees all around him kind of guy, so not sure my ideal vacation will happen any time soon. We are certainly opposites on weather preferences, which we joke about often. He grew up on a wheat farm in Kansas, said he had plenty of cold and snow in which there were more chores than play. So he had his fill of snow. Not me, I played in it as a child and hiked in it as a young adult. Snapping photos at every chance.
I want to plant pine trees all around our land and he would like some banana trees. So far the pine trees are winning !
In thinking about winter, its mostly comes down to our attitude about it. We choose if we want to complain about it, or if we want to embrace the beauty of it. Children like winter because they take advantage of the fun it provides. Unless you have recently taken a walk for pleasure, just after the snow stopped falling, when all is silent, no foot prints to be found except for maybe the tiny little bird tracks left by the bird feeders, then you have missed seeing the beauty and magic snow brings. I would love some real winter weather to go exploring in, bright mittens on my hands, with strings attached, running across my back and down each sleeve.


winter pictures from the past, not this year : (

Comments

ellemenope said…
I love to run while it is snowing. A few weeks ago I went out for a 5 mile run while it was snowing and must have had 4 neighbors stop and ask if they could give me a ride back home. While I appreciated their hospitality, I was all like: "Are you kidding? This is the best time to run! Look how beautiful it is out here!" Same with those misty, light spring rains. I love to run in the rain. Everything smells so good.
Anonymous said…
we didn't really have a winter this year unfortunately! It just doesn't seem right for it to be 70 degree's in February!
MiSScNeLLY said…
I love the scenes of the winter. I took a picture of some trees covered in snow and I use it as a screensaver on my phone. Its so beautiful.
Cathy said…
Patty,
I am a person that LOVES winter.
We don't get much snow, but sure wish we did.
Blessings to you today my friend,
Cathy
Marianna said…
You nearly knocked me over with those pictures...I thought they were recent! My parents don't live too far from you (I'm guessing) and I hadn't heard a word about snow. But with winter in Texas one never knows!

Popular Posts