Listening

Today, I caught the last few minutes of the Oprah show. She said something quite profound, that made me sit and think for a bit about the power of listening. I can't remember her exact words, but this is pretty close..."If you want to be a star, be a listener."
Most of us rush to talk all about ourselves, what we stand for, what we like to do, what we can't stand and what we think people need to know right off the bat about us. When we meet someone that is like that, most of use tune out and think, "wow, what a blowhard".
My great grandfather, shown above with my aunt, was a listener. A quiet man that soaked everything in. When he did speak, everyone listened because everyone knew that he didn't waste words or spend hours mindlessly talking about himself. If you think about "wise" people you never imagine them as "motor mouths" but rather the strong silent type.
One of the things that makes a good therapist is that they listen well, then talk. One of the things about a good spiritual councilor is that they listen to you, instead of telling you all about their experiences and how they did this or that.
Listening more, talking less, is my new challenge. Wonder if that means I will blog less ?
P.S.
I am not planning on quitting blogging... but it has lost some of its luster for me.

Comments

Pearl said…
I love your blog. I have incorporated it into my daily quiet time. Your writing often cause me great reflection. Thank you. Kim
Shan said…
Patty,

I am sorry to hear that blogging has lost its luster for you. I think you have such thought provoking posts. I often try to write something deep and meaningful, but I seem to have a very hard time, and go back to writing about my home, etc. It is not something everyone can do - it is special. Please don't stop writing.

Your friend,
Shan
Aunt Jenny said…
I totally agree...your posts are always so thought provoking and inspiring to me too!
Wanted to let you know I am doing a little giveaway on my blog..it ends Saturday at midnight...if you are interested check it out!
Mimi said…
your post always make me think...and that is a good thing...you are a blessing to me...and I thank you for your meaningful posts...
Mimi
~Bren~ said…
Hey, just remember this where ALOT of people come to "listen". If we are to listen then someone needs to talk. You would not have the wonderful thought provoking posts you share if you were not an excellent listener. You already have that characteristic. I read EVERY post you write. Some times I comment and sometimes I don't, but I always listen to your words.
2 LMZ FARMS said…
I am sorry that blogging has lost its luster to you. I want you to know that when you talk(or post) there are a whole lot of us out here that is listening. You are such an inspiration to me and everyone else. HOpe you and yours have a blessed weekend.
Laura

Popular Posts