Thinking about regrets

On occasion I have written about regrets and how most of our real regrets in life are about the things we don't take opportunity to do, not the things we have done. Last week when I was sick with food poisoning I thought about a regret I do carry with me. One that really hurts.
My mother was a lovely woman but not a huge fan of having children. I was the third and not wanted...well, I suspect they liked me after I arrived but my mother never wanted 3 children, ever.
After my first was born, she would say things like, "you have a nice healthy baby, you don't need any more, they are just too much work." We wanted another child, actually from the time I was a young teen I told everyone I wanted a dozen or more children. I love children. Played dolls as if they were real babies, played dolls till I was 14, then babysat, and then had my own ! When my second daughter was born, every single conversation with my family was about how two children were more than enough and the pressure was constant to have my tubes tied. I caved in and had it done. I cried the very next day, regretting what we had done. By the time Melanie was out of diapers all I could think about was having the surgery reversed. I prayed and miraculously I was able to have the surgery done for FREE. They were able to reconnect me but I just had miscarriages, no third baby. I prayed. I begged God, I told Him I was so sorry for having the first surgery. I was heartbroken. I kept track of every single friend that got pregnant while we were trying. I kept up my faith until I was about 46 years old, that was the age of the oldest friend I had that conceived. We adopted our two nephews and although our family grew from 2 to 4, I still wanted more children. To this day I regret that first surgery. Regret listening to my mother. Her advice was selfish, and flawed for us. Regret not knowing then what I know now about the wonderful joy of having a house full of children. I wondered this past week about what my life would be like now with 8 more children to love, to see grow into wonderful adults. To have many many grandchildren. Children are a blessing. I once read, "people never seem to regret having a house full of children, but they do seem to regret not having them."

Comments

Marianna said…
Patty,

How sad that your family was unable to honor who you were and placed so much undue pressure on you.

Marianna
pomo housewife said…
that's so sad. I hope being a grandma lets you experience some of the joy you missed out on. My mother wanted more children than she was able to have, too.
ellemenope said…
I can't tell you how much I can empathize with this post. I am infertile. Rock solid unable to conceive without intervention. It is only through the grace of God that I was able to have my twin girls. I have never conceived since. My insides are a train wreck. Surgery after surgery. So many hours in doctors offices, traveling to clinics. It is over for me now, and I grieve this every single day of my life. While I thank God every day and night for my girls, I still think like you -- how I would have loved a house full of children. My girls started out as triplets and I lost one. I grieve for that baby too, as well as the children I would have had if I was fertile. Sometimes my arms ache to hold a baby again.

When I was hoping so badly that I would become pregnant -- I prayed so hard that I was sweating. This is how I know that there is a God. And that He answers prayer. He gave me my girls.

I am so sorry this happened to you. And I can truly say I know how you feel. Infertility is a horrible thing to have to deal with, no matter how it happened to you. I hope you find peace. And if you do, please let me know how you got there. :-)

I am hoping that grandchildren will help lessen this ache for me someday. But it will be a long while before that happens.
Aunt Jenny said…
I have been there too. I had my tubes tied (at the insistence of my abusive first husband) after the birth of my second son ( I was only 21!!!!) and always longed for more children. My wonderful husband and I have adopted 5 since then..none as babies...and that has helped so much and made my family much more how I always pictured it to be..but still there is that huge regret for caving in and having that surgery. I went through a time in my early 30's where I had a hard time dealing with it. I wanted more babies so badly. Now I realize I just wanted more children..but it is hard thing to deal with for sure.
Arden said…
I woke up this morning tired and overwhelmed before I even set foot out of bed. Why? I am 41 and pregnant with our 8th child, due in September.
Thank you for shaking me out of my selfish stupor.
Sky said…
:( soooo sorry!

what about adoption? so many sibling groups need homes, and you might be able to find a young child or children.
Cristan said…
So sad how society has changed in just a few generations.
BUT, how wonderful that you were able to adopt kids. Were they older boys when they came to you?
Attie said…
OHH I am sorry!!I to feel how you felt and do now. We have 4 I want more..(i can say that my hun is a few miles away!! iam sure he stopped what ever he was doing if for a bit wondering what he just felt) I have heard it to. my mom wanted boys. it was awful for her as she had 3 girls first. They, the boys were and are always treated better. It's quite sad!!
I talk to her often but she's not involved in our kids lives. She has no desire to be a granma to them. I get quite upset over it.
And I hear it too about" oohh gosh Your not gonna have more are ya"?
And I say to them ...yea if WE want to!!! So iam feeling for you and I hope one day You feel better but I bet You probably won't some voids are hard to fill and thats what Iam afraid of too!! But I hope you do!!
mikesgirl said…
I can empathize with the influence your mom's words had on you. When I was pregnant with my third child, I came out of the doc's office and whispered to my oldest that we were going to have another baby. She got excited and told grandma (who was with us) and her response was "Don't say baby to me!!" in a very angry tone. That turned a very happy moment for me into a bad memory that I can never shake. She had only one child - by choice, and we went on to have four, but I would have liked more. I have always hated being an only child. You are a wonderful mother and grandmother Patty - your family is very lucky.
Mimi said…
as mothers we sometimes tend to cast our thoughts and desires on our children (especially our daughters)
your mother probably regretted pushing you into having your tubes tied when she saw how much you longed for more children...
don't look back now... you can not change it.. just look forward to maybe more grand children...
I am very sorry for your sadness...
{{Hugs}}
Mimi
Patty said…
sad to say Mimi, she never felt bad about pushing us into having my tubes tied. She died thinking two children was MORE than enough for anyone.
MarmiteToasty said…
If I had listened to my mother, who by the way, was a wicked woman, then I would of only had 2 children, thank god I never listened to her and I went on to have 4 sons, and even though I am now alone with them as a single parent, I would of loved 6 or 7 children, maybe thats why I fill my house with minded nippers and my sons maties are always filling the house to bursting levels :)

Im so sorry you didnt have more children, but think of the love you have given those you have :)... much love


x

Popular Posts