Now I Know Its Almost Spring


When the chicks arrive I know that spring is just around the corner ! I picked up some Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpingtons today. They are so cute. Little balls of fluff.
Freckles is only happy if I am within her sight so she has been following me around like a little helper. Actually she is helping the best when in the wheel barrow and not under foot.
Its been so much fun getting our little homestead full functioning once again. In our married life, we have had milking goats more years than we have not had them, so it just feels more normal for us to have them. I like working hard, hauling bales of hay, throwing a 50lb sack of feed over my shoulder and putting up fence. I also like the quiet time of milking, leaning into the side of a warm goat as my fingers work at milking. Hearing the milk hit the pail and foam rising.
This kind of living keeps you fit. Your muscles keep working, your mind fills with peace and a feeling of order in your own little world. You see the cycle of life all around you.
As soon as all the new critters are settled in, it will be time to plant the garden. Collard greens, onions, garlic and potatoes will be the first things we set out. I am looking forward to getting things going.

Comments

MiSScNeLLY said…
I totally love just about every single picture you take. Love it! The puppy is the cutest and salutes to you for giving him a new home.
Patty said…
Glad you like them Miss Nelson. I sure have fun taking them.
Debbie J said…
Thank you for the comment. We need less clothes at my house for sure! I like your blog alot!
Mom2fur said…
Oh, my goodness, the cute-o-meter just went off the scale. I love your babies!
Anna said…
You have such a way of finding beauty in life. I look forward to receiving inspiration from your blog every day, and you never let me down.Thank you for being YOU!

Blessings,
Annabelle
ellemenope said…
I envy you your goats. I don't miss twice daily milking though! I used to have two does. They gave the most sweetest milk. I weaned my twin girls onto goats milk. Most people don't understand that if you don't keep a buck around, the milk is not "goaty" at all, but rather rich, sweet and frothy. Mmmmmmm.

I made the most terrific goat cheese too. Just heat the milk, add some vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar) let it curdle and hang the curds. I would then add dill or peppers or anything I had that would taste good in the cheese. It was divine! Like a luscious cream cheese.

Man, now I have to get another goat!
Patty said…
Hi Ellemenope,
We always kept a buck but never had bucky milk. Just all in the handling of the milk. But not so sure I want to deal with a buck now with just two does
Dawn said…
I don't know which is cuter...the puppy or the lil' chicks? So cute!

I still can't believe March is only a few days away! 2008 is going by really fast...a little too fast...but that's okay because God knows what He is doing :)

P.S. DH and I will be in Arlington for a week March 30th - April 5th. Gotta begin the house buying process. :) Keep us in your prayers!

Popular Posts