some additional thoughts

This is much like a post script to the last post. I think my last post came out with more emphasis on the idea of people pleasing than I wanted it to. What I meant to convey was more the irony, the ridiculousness of being so often being judged so unfairly. I full well know that there is only one judge I need to be dealing with, but it's just so petty, so small, so unkind to be stood up in front of a firing line and shot for something as simple as finding wisdom in a book by a humble Buddhist monk. I guess that is what bothers me the most. Some folks act as if I was bowing down and kissing the feet of some idol. I just don't understand that kind of behavior and it sorta takes some of the joy of sharing openly away. Does that make sense ? Maybe it is still a bit of my personal struggle left over from being the "non-adventist" kid in a Seventh Day Adventist (substitute just about any denomination) school and being condemned for that, (not by a minority, but the majority). Told I was going to hell because I ate a bologna sandwich, had parents that smoked and went to the store shopping with my mom on Saturday. That sort of thing is hard to get past as a kid. When that sort of judging in the name of Christianity happens now, it makes me think back to my childhood. I have forgiven, but not forgotten how it made me feel. It is my prayer that never happen to another child. It scars, as you can tell by the way I feel. And we are after all the sum of our experiences, some experiences we work our much of our adult life to get over. If I am sensitive about that sort of thing, its because I want people to know what they are doing to others by judging, by condeming, or being filled with fear.

Comments

nancyr said…
I still have some hang-ups from my childhood, dealing with religion, too. My grandparents were very strict fundamentalists and were basically good people, but were very narrow in their focus. So many "normal" things were considered "sins". Couldn't wear shorts or sleeveless shirts. Gumball machines had little trinkets in them back then. Couldn't put money in, because that was "gamboling". Couldn't play cards, and on and on. Even though I saw them only two weeks a year, those things stuck in my mind, and I did all of the "don'ts", thus felt like a "bad" person. It affected how I feel about organized religion to this day. I don't go to church. I am a very spiritual person, but I feel that doing good and being a good person is what is important, not playing by the church's rules. I have seen too many mean-spirited hypocrites like the one you saw at McDonald's who spout platitudes, and verse, and who are mean to people but feel "virtuous".
Don't worry about people disagreeing with you. It would be a boring world if we all thought alike, and we would never learn anything new.
Spirituality is a personal venture, and it should be.
ellemenope said…
I truly feel for you after reading both of your recent posts and some of the comments that were posted on other posts. It is too bad that some people can be so judgemental in the name of God. But as one of your commenters said, the most you can do is pity them and pray for them to overcome their small-mindedness. The problem is not with YOU, but with THEM. They obviously have their own hang-ups and insecurities and are placing that insecurity on you. I remember hearing somewhere that you should try and make each experience with someone so that they feel the better for having known you, even for a brief second. I took that to heart and am trying to make all my interactions with people pleasant, even if I am having a bad day. If I can walk away from someone, and feel that I have made their time pleasant, even if for a moment, then I have succeeded in some small way.
Gypsy Quilter said…
If we think of ourselves as gardners, planting seeds of kindness, thoughtfulness, encouragement, wisdom, and faith, it does not matter which book or idea led us to that path. Sharing the concept reminds us daily of the goodness in the world. Keep writing. We'll keep listening. And thank you.
~Bren~ said…
There is nothing that can be said to make the feeling of being attacked go away. I was recently attacked also, and I remember being told that Christians are known for shooting their own wounded. I will never forget that Patti. I guess you "knew from whence you came". Knowing that DID help me move past it though. For every ONE person who turns on you because you take wisdom from a Buddist monk there are FIVE more backing you in understanding that God gives wisdom to those who ask for it. He does not say the source will be a Christian homemaker ready to delete a blog from bloglines because she got "afraid" (which is all that is). No, he will use any source available. Nothing you quoted could not be taken right out of scripture. Narrow mindedness is a dangerous thing. You miss the forest for the trees thinking like that. Chin up!! You know who you are and so do your real readers. Still, like I said, the feeling that it evokes is hurtful and I acknowledge that. (((hugs)))

Popular Posts