Moments of the Morning

It's quiet....no music, no sounds other than the fan. Sunshine and shadows creating a canvas of greens and blues out the window. Cake in the oven along with garnet yams baking together for a bit. Sunflowers stretching their long necks up towards the sky, faces, so big and round, seeking the sun. Pepper chasing cats and kittens, stopping short of ever reaching them, she has discovered such creatures have sharp claws. Goats, laying down in the pasture, chewing cuds contentedly. They look as if they haven't a care in the world. The hens are clucking, one is announcing to the world that she just laid an egg. The breeze is wonderful this morning, a coolness with it and that smell of fresh air with it, that is unmistakably a part of summer. The bright pink blossoms of the crepe myrtle are bouncing around with an air of flirtation.
The phone has been busy, first Emery to say he loves me and misses me after having so much time together yesterday. Then Melissa, sharing her day with me, and soon to follow, Melanie calls, asking what I am doing, wondering if we can go for a coffee or just do something fun together. Steven no doubt is swamped with work. His Monday's are like that.
My pile of wool to spin is in plain sight, shades of browns, all natural. I dream of what I want to make with it for the winter months....something warm and cozy. Winter feels a long way off when its nearly 100 degrees out. I drank some fresh watermelon juice, refreshing and so good for the kidneys. Filled the kerosene lamps, their light so comforting but in summer they do throw off quite a bit of heat. Glad the sun sets late and not much need for them. Our bedtime is almost the same as the suns bed time. Nature dictating our hours to sleep and wake.
Sneakers and crocks banging in the washing machine as they spin. I will hang them on the line, looking a bit like those amazing sneakers you see flung high up on the electric wires across old country roads. Tossed up there with much laughter I am sure. You can imagine the strange explanations to questioning mothers that ask, "where are your shoes ?"
Just another simple morning, where each second is enjoyed.

Comments

Iowa Gal said…
Hi Patty from Iowa........ Do you make your own watermelon juice? If so how do you do it?? Your fridge sounds like mine and sometimes things do get lost in it but she still keeps humming along. She seems like an old friend.......JAN
Marcie said…
Patty,

Fresh watermelon juice sounds so delicious. I've eaten a lot of watermelons in my life, but never even thought of drinking it as a juice. Did you juice it yourself?
I'm definitely going to try that this year. Thank you for the inspiration.

warm regards,
Aisling
Aunt Jenny said…
Your writing about throwing the shoes up on the electric lines reminds me of a tree...called the "shoe tree" of course, that is somewhere I think in Nevada..that my parents loved to see. We got to throw a couple pairs of shoes up into it on vacation before. It is just chock full of shoes.....funniest sight!! Thanks for the memory!! I just love your writing!!

Popular Posts