Be Wise

Last night Emery and I were talking about current events, about how prices keep rising, how things seem rather uncertain right now in the financial world. Stocks fall, prices rise, the housing market is a bit precarious and we are all seeing that our habits for using fossil fuel need to change.
We talked a bit about how the Amish dealt with the depression, how the women showed their industrious side by baking pies to sell, canning huge amounts for the family, working side by side with their husbands in the field, using every resource they had available to make things work. There is a great little book by the title...."Strangers at Home: Amish and Mennonite Women in History" By Kimberly D. Schmidt. You can find some pages of this book on line at

Google Books Schmidt writes about the research done by Walter Kollmorgen at the time of the depression regarding how the Amish women used their resourcefulness in that very difficult time period. These women were prepared by simply being industrious. It's a good read, pages 109-112 are the most insightful on the subject. As Emery and I discussed this we could not help but see a correlation with how the Amish women were like the 5 wise virgins that Jesus taught about in Matthew 25, which directly followed his talk about a very difficult time to come. In other words, the 10 virgin parable was and still is a good talk about being prepared for hard times. Hiding your head in the sand and not looking at the current state of affairs isn't going to help you deal with life at hand !
We need to tighten our belts, we need to redefine how we use our cars in this country. We need to get a grip on buying things without much thought. Living by the mantra of, "if there is money available at the ATM, we can go shopping," is not one that prepares us for a good financial future, no matter what the state of the country is. I think it's time right now for many to just take a step back and not be so rash in spending. I think it's the time right now to consider cutting down on how many times we drive to town to the store. Combine trips. Shop more carefully so you don't forget things that require that, "oh I forgot to get this" kind of trip.
I am not saying here that doomsday is around the corner, or that a depression is coming, just that the financial world is a bit shaky right now and it would be wise to prepare for by upping our industrious side or at least to not contribute to the difficulties by having a "spend like there is no end" mindset. Become more industrious in your home. Find ways to cut costs. Spoil the kiddos less. Comprehend that what you own does not make you a bigger and brighter star in the end.
And value the things that moth and rust cannot take from you and take to heart the idea of being a little prepared for leaner times. If they don't happen, no big deal, if they do, that is a big deal ! Then you will be one of the 5 wise virgins spoken about in

Matthew 25
The Parable of the Ten Virgins 1"At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
6"At midnight the cry rang out: 'Here's the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!'
7"Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8The foolish ones said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.'
9" 'No,' they replied, 'there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.'
10"But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.
11"Later the others also came. 'Sir! Sir!' they said. 'Open the door for us!'
12"But he replied, 'I tell you the truth, I don't know you.'
13"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.
photo: two little oil lamps purchased while on a tip to Israel. One burns brightly, filled with olive oil

Comments

MiSScNeLLY said…
This is such great advice. I need to follow it. Thanks for the reminder. My goal is to be more conscious of the way I am spending and also to make sure that my home is always stocked with necessities so that I would be able to survive for at least a few months if anything were to happen.
That is wonderful advice! Jack and I try to be careful with our money especially living on a tight budget.
Anonymous said…
My little car doesn't see the road much anymore. Every 2 weeks we do what we must. I work on a list several days before pay day and get all my ducks in a row. I have worked it so that I drive in a big circle. I don't back track. If it wasn't on the list or if it was forgotten then it will wait till next pay day or the next time we have to go out.

My little car use to take 20 dollars in gas. The first time it went over 30 dollars I almost had heart failure. I just felt defeated. I did very good the last 2 weeks. Most time my car has to get gas once every week. This time I made it 2 weeks.

I'm worried when school starts. I have to drive Thomas to school. But, I know God will provide.

Rebecca

Popular Posts