Spinning New Wool

Last night, as the sky grew dim, and the conversation slowed, I took out my spinning wheel to try the gray Shetland wool that arrived in the mail yesterday. What a dream to spin ! Sarah was amazed to see the spinning wheel in action and how relaxing it is to turn the fiber into yarn. I love to see a child discover the beauty of things done the old fashioned way.
It would be nice to spend the entire morning spinning, but much to do.....Saturday maybe there will be some time. Today, I will just have to dream of what I plan to do with this wonderful soft wool, perhaps a new shawl, maybe a sweater.


Housewifery
Make me, O Lord, Thy spinning-wheel complete.
Thy holy Word my distaff make for me;

Make mine affections Thy swift flyers neat;
And make my soul Thy holy spool to be;
My conversation make to by Thy reel,
And reel the yarn thereon spun of Thy wheel.
Make me Thy loom, then; knit therein this twine;
And make Thy Holy Spirit, Lord, wind quills.
Then weave the web Thyself. The yarn is fine.
Thine ordinances make my fulling mills.
Then dye the same in heavenly colors choice,
All pinked with varnished flowers of paradise.
Then clothe therewith mine understanding will,
Affections, judgement, conscience, memory,
My words and actions, that their shine may fill
My ways with glory and Thee glorify.
Then mine apparel shall display before Ye
That I am clothed in holy robes for glory.
~Edward Thomas~
(1642-1729)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have tried spinning...but alas, I am all thumbs. Maybe someday I'll be able to learn.

Your yarn is quite lovely. I hope you share with us when your project is finished.

God bless!

mari
Aunt Jenny said…
I have been spinning alot this week too..and need to get to washing the wool from my own sheep so it will be ready to spin this fall. I love to take my spinning wheel outside and spin on my little patio/getaway area...but it has just been too hot this week...except the one rainy day!!
I hope it cools off this weekend just a little!
Your yarn is pretty!!
Dana and Daisy said…
I just spent a week in class learning how to do this and also did some natural dyeing! I'll post about it in a day or two on my art blog. Your yarn is lovely and I can truly appreciate how wonderful of a spinner you are after trying it myself.

my art blog: calicocatpress.blogspot.com
love, Dana

Popular Posts