Granite Countertops....Radon Danger

When we were looking up information on safe counter tops for our kitchen, we were uncomfortable with the particle board laminate because of the dangers in the glue. I researched granite and found all sorts of information about radon found in them and just this week, more information has come out about it. Here is one article that speaks about information from a professor at Rice University. http://www.click2houston.com/news/16999005/detail.html
Naturally the companies that sell the product are going to say its just fine. Sorta like plastic baby bottles and disposable diapers !
Just because something is "natural" doesn't always mean it's safe !

Comments

Anonymous said…
O, wow, Patty! Who would have thought? Scarry.
Carrie J said…
I need to replace my counter tops in the next couple of years. My husband and I were just discussing the granite craze and what would be "in" when we get around to it. I have never liked the granite look. We will probably go with tile counter tops. I like the look of larger tile and it doesn't leave as many grout joints to clean.
eggsintomatoes said…
We did something a little unusual when we did our home. I too, wanted something besides laminate and didn't want to buy into the granite craze. We did copper and it was very easy and inexpensive. My husband did the counters in plywood, then took the plywood to the local sheet metal place and had them wrap it in copper. I think the whole thing cost us only a couple of hundred bucks and it looks great. Very earthy. The more the copper ages, the more it changes in depth and tone. Here is a pic of how they look: http://www.loghomebuilders.org/kitchen-custom-countertops-log-home-copper
Dana and Daisy said…
I've heard about this too. Makes me glad we didn't spring for them.
Karen said…
I appreciate the info. What about quartz or Corian??? Want something that will last till I take my final journey. Thanks
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts