Christmas in July, Really !


Last night just after drifting off to sleep, I felt a creepy crawly feeling on my leg that was enough to make me scream ! Now I am not the scaredy cat sort of girl, but there are a couple things I am not crazy about in the world of critters, one is gecko's. I know they don't hurt you and yes that little guy on the commercials for insurance is really cute, but I simply do not like little fast critters that crawl on you. My scream wakened Emery into some sort of Rambo mode. Within a second that tiny little thing was flying through the air and off my leg. Emery's reflexes are amazing and last night they were sharper then ever. I was saved by my knight in shining P.J.'s well, OK, they weren't exactly shining p.j.'s, more like stripped and rather ordinary.
Still, I was shaken by this creepy creature that must have hitched a ride into the house on the clean sheets that hung blissfully in yesterdays summer breeze. Emery hunted for the little reptile, or whatever they are classified as, to no avail. I then sternly announced I was not sleeping in our room until it was found and removed ! So, in a truly loving fashion this night of mine turned on the lights, and climbed under the bed to hunt. Wise man that he is, got out the vacuum, which certainly seems like a serious hunting move and vacuumed every inch of our room, including the inside of our shoes, while I cowered like a scaredy cat on the sofa. My man was my hero, making all that noise at 1 in the morning to seek the creature that made me scream !
I hear the vacuum turned off and standing before me is this man of mine with a sheepish grin, in his hands a package, all wrapped up in tissue. "A present for you". He had tucked away a Christmas present for me last fall, hid it well, so well he forgot about it. A piece of my favorite pottery that I collect from Homestead Heritage in Elm Mott. When he was hunting the creepy creature, he stumbled upon this well hidden Christmas present.
I must say, opening this gift did seem to soften the anxiety that was born of some lizard crawling up my leg in the night. The Gecko no doubt fled the scene after his very unexpected flying trip. He never was found. I am hoping it was a HE gecko and not a pregnant SHE gecko. The thought of many of these little things in the house just sends chills up my spine. Yes, I am a scaredy cat : 0
This morning I had fun rearranging my hutch to now include this wonderful Butter keeper !

You pack the butter into the cone part of the lid, fill the bowl with a bit of cool water and it keeps the butter cool and spreadable. You change the water every three days.
Bottom two shelves of my hutch have my collection of salt glaze, wheat and cobalt blue pottery from Homestead Heritage

Comments

Marci said…
I have to admit, I was wondering about you there for a minute Pat. You label your post Christmas and then talk about a creepy crawly on your leg at night. =) Ah, then the light shown down and I made the connection. Merry Christmas!!! I have one of those butter bells as well.
Patty said…
hehehe Marci, yup, there was Christmas in July at the end of the tale...do you use your butter bell ? I am not sure if I will use it, or just look at it
Sunny said…
Merry Christmas.
Dana and Daisy said…
Oh gosh! My husband would have said, "well, see you in the morning then." Don't woory if it has babies, your kitties will catch them. Get a litter box and invite the cats indoors!
Ha-this cracked me up! I'm sorry it caused you so much distress, but as I envisioned it all unfolding it was a pretty hilarious scene! I'm glad that the gecko disappeared and for your sake hope it made it safely out of the house. At least the midnight job unearthed a lost surprise!

Popular Posts