Sunday Evening

The shadows from the lantern swinging by my side cast strong shadows around me. I had to remember to watch the path ahead of me and not look at the light, looking at the light sort of blinds you from seeing the path. I like when the evening comes early and there is a need for the lantern when I do the evening chores . It even gives off a tiny bit of heat that is most welcome on cold nights when the wind is blowing all around the barn. Branches making a scrapping sound as they reach down to the metal roof of the milk house and sway back and forth. The cats followed me to the barn, anxious for their evening meal. They are getting fat. The goats standing at the gate, waiting for their grain. Cinnamon is first on the milking stand, and Licorice like the well behaved goat that she is patiently waits her turn. They know the routine. I sit close to the goats tonight, they are warm and I am cold. Neither one seems to mind me leaning close. I can smell the kerosene from the lamp and its a good familiar smell to me. One that stirs up fond memories of late night trips to the barn during kidding season and finding tiny goats, wet with the newness of life. Little miracles to me. The lantern hangs on the hook from the beam over head and lights all around me with the sweetest golden glow. Goats fed, and hay put in the manger. Chickens locked up and now just me in the silence of the evening, walking back to the house, lantern swinging by my side once again. The moon is out, just a sliver of a silver hung in the sky with two bright stars a bit above it. A perfect night. Now I am warmed by the glowing fire and it feels good ! I am thankful for the life we live. Thankful for the simplicity of it all. Thankful for all that love and beauty that surrounds me.
Yup, I still think life is good. God has richly blessed us.

Comments

Carole said…
hello Patti. i'm sitting by the fire as i write. i have had a long day but i wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog. i just finished reading your latest post and i enjoyed it so much. i pictured every bit in my mind's eye as you walked along your path, carrying your lantern to the barn. i'll be back, and i hope you will visit me too. i have posted your blog on mine, so others can also enjoy reading it.
Carole
Towanda said…
Patty,
John and I saw the sliver of the moon and the two bright lights above it in the sky tonight. He is into astronomy and he told me the two lights were Venus and Jupiter and that it was somewhat unusual to see them in close proximity like that.
It's interesting that you were in Texas looking at the same sight we were gazing at in New Mexico.

Popular Posts