Its Cold !







My hands are stinging from the cold. Its cold this morning. I was glad to get into the barn for the wind break. Its not sub zero weather, its just that the first few cold days take a bit of adjusting. The goats are frisky, wanting to play. I think they would climb into my jacket pocket if they could. There is frost on the roof tops. I like seeing that. Winter is after all my favorite season. Walking back to the house after all the critters have been fed and watered, I feel watch the birds at the feeders, hungry tiny things, eating so they can stay warm. I stick my hands deep into my barn jacket pocket and feel something odd. Small round hard things. Skittles from a while back....a fun treat for the walk back to the house. A strange bit of breakfast but I can be like a child if I want to, so I eat them, with some sort of silly smile on my face. As if I was doing something I shouldn't and getting away with it. Wood smoke is reaching high up into the sky, just like in a child's drawing of a chimney with smoke. It smells good, mesquite and oak burning together. The house is toasty warm. As I peel off the layers of sweaters at the back door and kick off my boots, the warmth greets me. Emery is at the table finishing his breakfast. I look at him and feel profound love, 30 years worth of love in one single glance.
The kettle on the wood stove is spitting, nearly ready to whistle. Hot tea sounds good. The washer is nearly done, hanging up the clothes will be a cold job this morning. Maybe the tea in my tummy will help keep me warm while I am out there.
Life is good. I wouldn't trade a thing about my life.
Keeping it simple and simply loving each day.








Comments

I wonder if I beat you to the clothes line this morning! [OK, I cheated, some of Jim's outerwear was splashed with diesel fuel and I washed it twice, left it in the washer overnight.]
Still, the horses were astonished to see me on the porch in the morning gloom. I thought last week that they were showing little signs of growing their winter coats--today they suddenly look warmly furred.
The cats are inspired by the weather, racketing through the house. The kittens race across the plant tables while the "big cats" smirk--"we would never do that!"
Dana and Daisy said…
you two are just the sweetest couple on the whole internet!

I shivered in my boots last night as I filled up my gas tank on the way home from the cabin. Then I looked at the thermometer on my dash, It was only 42 hee hee!
Marianna said…
I'm loving this colder weather. My lungs felt so full after my walk this morning!

Marianna

Popular Posts