The Simple Life

The room is lit by kerosene lamps, the fire casts a copper glow on the bare wooden floor. There is popcorn popping and mint tea steaming in mugs thrown on a wheel, salt glaze. There is an afghan waiting on the sofa to be wrapped in and the promise of a holiday special to be watched on the Hallmark channel. The house smells of the herbs gathered this morning. The chores have been done, the evening is our own. My girls have called today to chat with mom and see what the plans are for the weekend. Its snowing in Vermont so Melissa sent me a picture, she knows I love the snow. My feet are toasty warm in hand knit socks. My heart is warmed, surrounded by so much love. Life is good...I am not worried about what I have or don't have. I am not worried about what food is in my pantry. It is good and wholesome and plenty. I am thankful for so many blessings. Health, happiness, joy, children that are such good people, and who bless our lives in so many ways. Grand-blessings that fill us with more joy than we could ever count and there is a peace in our lives that goes beyond what I ever imagined. Dreams that have come true and hopes that keep us young at heart and a bit idealistic. This is the simple life.

Comments

Unknown said…
I just stumbled across your site, as i went looking for a recipe, I am a special educator in Vermont. Tomorrow I will be serving Indian Pudding to some wonderful 5th grade students. I stayed and visited your site for a bit, I am thankful for folks like you.
Patty said…
Thanks Susan for stopping by. Nothing like a Indian pudding. My daughter tells me its been cold up there. You have even had snow flurries which makes me so jealous

Popular Posts