Shunning

Yesterday someone emailed me asking me about "shunning" and what I think about it, know about it etc. I guess someone they know had been shunned recently and they wanted my thoughts on the subject. Well, I always thought it was akin to psychological torture, and extremely harsh. Maybe just something Paul wrote about that seemed a bit mean to our modern standards. But wanting to know more about it before I answered the email I did some research and all I can say is "ouch".
Here are the texts used for turning from a brother, not having contact with a sinner etc.
After I read them all, it made me wonder who in this modern day you would associate with. Greedy, lazy, immoral, that is a huge percentage of the population.
Its a tough one for me....I like to believe we should live what the Bible says, take it all literally, but this is a hard one. I honestly have a hard time setting up the line between what is judging another and finding it o.k. to shun. I don't want to judge, but it seems like you have to make a judgement call in order to shun. I understand I can love, pray for etc a person yet not have anything to do with them. It was clearer for me when my children were young. We simply did not involve ourselves with people that would be a bad influence on them, but maintaining that now, for myself, well I don't do it. But if you take the Bible literally, you should. Tough one. Families can be separated by this. Does a woman have nothing to do with her drunken, immoral husband ? Not eat at the same table with him ? Adult children with parents that are sinners ? Siblings ? Certainly it rules out bringing the television into the home. That is inviting all sorts of things into our home that should be shunned. Then, we come to doctrinal differences that are major ones, do you just maintain friends with only those that believe as you believe is the truth ? Hard questions. Emery and I have been chatting about it this morning and frankly, its a difficult subject and certainly not one that would be considered "politically correct" by modern standards.
1Corinthians 5:11–13: But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. Expel the wicked man from among you."
Matthew 18:15–17: If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.
2Thessalonians 3:6: In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us.
2Thessalonians 3:14–15: If anyone does not obey what we say in this letter, take note of that person and have nothing to do with him, that he may be ashamed. Do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.
Romans 16:17: I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.
2John 10–11, NASB: If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds.

Comments

Carrie said…
Whoa, this is a very difficult matter. As Jesus once indicated to his disciples, some challenges require prayer and fasting. I must consider these texts and their context to determine what the writer intended and, most importantly, how to translate it into our dealing with people with whom we disagree.
This post is of particular interest to me due to a certain situation our family has been facing these past several years.
I`m Sassy, said…
When my children were young, i too did not allow them to spend time with those i thought would be a bad influence, i suppose i was judgemental.

Now my children are grown, and they turned out as i hoped they would. I am hopefully less judgemental of people and more compassionate.

As for shunning, there are some extreme situations where it is impossible to keep a person in your life, because of how they turn your life upside down.

But as for shunning in certain religious groups because a person does`nt believe as you do, i find it rediculous. I believe these groups are driving by fear, it is a big part of their lives.

Again, Jesus is a good example. He did not shun Mary Magdaline, he was patient and compassionate with her, and she became completely dedicated to him, and his beliefs.
NeeCee said…
But, if we stay away from them, who will lead them to the Lord?? If Jesus stayed away from the "unlovely" none of us would be saved today. Look who he "hung out with", the sinners, tax collectors, "loose" women, lepers, etc.

I understand the Bible wants to protect us from being unduly influenced by the "wrong" sort of people, but we are also suppose to minister to them and show them the way.

Just my two cents anyway, for whatever its worth.
Patty said…
NeeCee, I am not in favor of shunning. It just seems that compassion is lacking in such an action.
Janette said…
HUm- I see this very differently. The words of Christ in Matthew are pretty different than the letters to the Early Church. Christ says treat them like a tax collector- but who did Christ call out of the tree?
I think Christ ment to lead by example. It is EASIER to shun someone- stay away so you do not fall into their sin. It is much more difficult to live among them and love them so they may see your ways and want to be a part of you and yours.
I believe that sin is between God and the person. It affects all- but that person needs to ask for God's forgiveness and then work their way back to the community.
I do not believe in public shunning.
martha said…
From the Matthew 18 passage - "treat him as you would a tax collector". When I read this I thought of Jesus and Zacchaeus, and I smiled. Doesn't Jesus always mix it up for us? Never overly simple, except for the rule of love.

(oooops, just took the time to read the previous wise comments, guess I'm redundant!)

Popular Posts