A Day To Rejoice









You know that state of sleep where reality mixes in with dream space....well, this morning I woke thinking someone very large, giant like, must have fallen against our front door. Was it a dream or reality ? After a moment of clearing away the cobwebs of sleep, I realized that it was thunder, loud enough to rattle the windows and shake the house. Then I heard something else, something marvelous, wonderful and full of blessing.....rain ! It came down in buckets, sheets of water running off the roof like tiny Niagara falls. I thanked God and smiled thinking He gave me this as a birthday present. Cool air and rain, no better gift could He have given me.
Like a child wanting to play in a puddle, I ran out the door, thunder clapping all around me. Red wellies on my feet. Over sized rain coat on that accommodates a camera hung off my neck, snug and protected against the rain. This wonderful event on my special day !
The animals were in the barn, peeking out the door, smarter than me. They were staying dry.
Pepper peeked out of her dog house, not sure if this water from the sky was as much fun as playing in the hose.
Rain drops dancing in a puddle by the back porch captivated me. Bubbles jumping up and down, rings of water disappearing as fast as they appeared. On the wooden gateway to the garden, rain drops sliding across the header piece from both ends, meeting in the middle, then dropping to the ground in one huge drop, reminding me of some 3rd grade science fair exhibit.
The wonder of the coolness on my face, the joy of water falling on the parched land, where the grass had been sounding like crisp tiny twigs breaking under my feet for weeks.
The milk barn has a leaky roof...we meant to fix it but never got to it. It was one of those "round to-it" jobs that you put off. The floor in the barn was a mix of mud and wet hay. I didn't mind. I was too grateful for this elixir of life that was falling from the sky to complain in my head about any aspect of it. After feeding the goats and other critters, I lingered outside. The rain had slowed to just a sprinkle. Drops like tiny mirrors hung on each leaf, each branch.
Roses, like tiny bowls of water, holding on to the rain. All of nature was rejoicing in their own way. With a reluctance I headed back in the house, the phone ringing. Birthday wishes. Melanie called long before I went out to do chores, determined to be the first birthday call and she was. I am blessed to be so loved by all my children and by my best friend that I also call, husband.
It is a perfect day, and its just begun.

Comments

Happy Birthday! Glad it's gotten off to a good start! Enjoy it! And I'm glad the rain has arrived for you all too!
GreenishLady said…
Happy birthday to you, Patty. I'm glad you got the rain you wanted, and hope that everything else you could want is yours today too.
Aunt Jenny said…
Happy Birthday Patty! I hope your day continues to be wonderful...and I hope that rain finds it's way north to Utah!!!
Peggy said…
Have a very happy blessed birthday! May it be as special as you are to all of the blog neighborhood.
Christine said…
Happy Birthday! I hope the rest of the day continues in its wonders!
sakiblu said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Patty...I'm new to your blog, but truely Love it...I have no family, animals or garden, but wish I did..Your photos,of your family , your life, have let me share in all the things I really treasure , as well..THANK YOU for all the beauty!!!May this your special day be rained on with many blessings!!!!!!!
Happy Birthday Patty! I've been reading your blog for quite a while, and wanted to tell you how much it means to me. I look forward to it everyday. I hope you have the most blessed birthday ever!
Pearl said…
Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day and a year full of blessings!
Dana and Daisy said…
What a wonderful gift for your birthday!
QuiltingFitzy said…
Happy Belated birthday to you, and today is my day.

I think Birthday days are just the best. Has only everything to do with the feeling you get on this day alone. A certain thankfulness I guess.

Popular Posts