A Moment Etched in My Mind Forever

Last week, there was a moment in time that will last in my memory forever. Nothing earth shaking, now bells and whistles went off. No fireworks, just a quiet moment that left me awe struck.
I sat Mei-Ling on my lap with the spinning wheel in front of me and began to spin. She reached her tiny little hand up to the wool roving I was holding in my right hand. She cupped her baby fingers over the wool, feeling it gently, no tugging or pulling, just with a featherlight touch as if she understood it was to be held that way. Her touch as soft as the Shetland wool itself.
I kept waiting for her to grow tired of this and want "down", moving on to something new, but she sat, silently letting the wool pass through her fingers. 5 minutes turned into 10 and 10 into 15 and still she sat with me, spinning. Finally something called me away from the task and the moment ended, but through it all, I thought about the profound joy in being able to teach another generation such a wonderful craft. A piece of history, a skill and a pleasure. Right before me is the blessing of some day teaching hand sewing, quilting, knitting, crochet, soap making, candle dipping, cheese making and so many more things to my grandchildren. Yes, I get to see Mei-Ling very often as she lives just a few doors away, but I do hope that I will have opportunity to share the things I have learned with Elizabeth and all the future grandchildren that will come in time, if I am permitted to.
For now, I will savor the moment of spinning wool with the tiny little girl that calls me Nana

Comments

Janette said…
What a joy to be able to share such a moment with your grandchild. Mine is so far away- but he is silent as I speak to him on the phone-listening. I am Nana as well.
Margo in Maine said…
You are an amazing lady...you share such wonderful things and always such an inspiration to me..thank you taking the time...not sure how you find the time to do all you do..you remind me of the Proverb lady in the scripture...she had her hand in everything and was successful...Blessings
Patty said…
Thank you Margo....I just have a hard time sitting still : )

Popular Posts