An Ordinary Morning









I stood in the milk barn, watching and listening to Cinnamon munch on her grain. My mind on a million things. Today I need to sew on some shopping bags I am making, dust the furniture, strip the bed in the guest room, do some baking, maybe cut out a new skirt and on and on the mental list of "to do's" plays out in my thoughts, when just out of the corner of my eye, I see on the milk house floor what looks like a few strands of gold Christmas tinsel. First thought, how in the world did that get there ? Then I realize it is a tiny ray of sunshine coming through a loose board and casting the most perfect golden glow on a few strands of hay laying on the floor. What beauty ! I am in awe at such a sight. My mind is quieted by this tiny miracle of spun gold laying on the barn floor. My eyes gaze out into the pasture through the gate and before me, two male cardinals chasing on another, dots of red fluttering from branch to branch. A female cardinal looks on, perhaps she is amused. Sun beams casting a coat of gold on grass and leaves.
I see the wisteria is in bloom again, fooled by all the rain and cooler temperatures that perhaps its springtime. Eggplant in bloom again too. Morning Glories reaching the sky by way of anything that will let them climb. I used to love these purple flowers but now see them as a weed, a misplaced flower that tries hard to strangle anything it can, just to reach up to the sun. They will take over in a matter of days.
Rose bushes birthing new leaves and blooms too. Pecans growing big in the trees, reminding me of the delight in eating a piece of warm pecan pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream melting on top. It is the beginning of a new season. Berries, their variety unknown to me as yet, ripening in the sun. Tiny purple orbs, dotted with some tiny infestation. A new kitten has appeared from somewhere, enjoying the cat food I put out for our kittens. A shy untamed little visitor, but hunger over-rides her fear and she lets me pet her for a second as she eats with a ravenous appetite. It is an ordinary morning, filled with a holy splendor.
After being outside, even the way the sun shines through the guest room window, seems profoundly beautiful to me.


Comments

clairz said…
Thank you for sharing your beautiful morning with us.
Sylvia K said…
I can only echo what Clairz has said! Thank you for the lovely photos and your lovely morning! I try to look around each day to inventory all the wonderful things in my life. They're as easy to see as the negatives, but the choice is up to each of us.
Carrie said…
These beautiful photos give a pleasing view of your extraordinary setting.

Popular Posts