Mei-Ling Update

Mei-Ling saw her nephrologist and he was satisfied that nothing had changed. He asked when her surgery will be, but no one knows until after her MRI in September. Last time she was tested, her kidney function was at 80%. It would be nice if it was a higher number since she has only one and that one is scarred.
It was strange taking her to this Doctors office. Its in the same office that we took Melanie for so many years as a child. Nephrology and Endocrinology are in the same office space at the Children's Hospital. I saw so many things to remind me of Melanie and I waiting to see the Doctor so many years ago. Insulated bags, in cute designs, that parents hope look "cool" so that the children don't mind carrying them. They are for keeping juice and insulin cool. Parents downloading the numbers from the glucose meters into daily journals. There were too many little arms, seemingly too small to be wearing medical alerts. Children with faces that showed they knew blood work was coming. Walking through the door to the exam area was painful for me. I remembered all too well, a little girls fear and pain and wondering why she had to be sick. I remember being so grateful for Doctors that restored life and maintained a level of health never to be taken for granted. Now, a second generation of all too often Doctor visits, and all the same feelings. Melanie knows...I understand.
It puts life in perspective....who cares about what kind of car your neighbor drives, or how big your house is, or how much more money you can make, when you know for sure, what really matters. Life.

Comments

Diane said…
My son was born 16 weeks early after the whole pregnancy being spent either in the hospital or in the bed. For years after birth my son spent a lot of time in doctor's offices and in hospitals. Praising God, heis super healthy now, but I know what you mean about feelings when you enter hospitals. I am thankful for the Dr.'s and their knowledge, but am glad we no longer have to live there. I pray Mei-Ling will one day be where my son is, healthy and thriving.
Susie Q said…
Bless this angel...prayers will be said that she can one day be healed completely!
Our son (adopted at 7 from Korea) went through many medical proceedures as a youngster and it is an awful feeling to be the parent (or grandparent) and feel so helpless.

I well remember that when my precious nephew was undergoing tests (at 2 and 3) I begged God to just let him be healthy. We could deal with anything else. Thank God he IS healthy. He was diagnosed with Autism but we are blessed that we have a wonderful school near by, that he has a delightful baby sitter that knows the needs he has. His parents have been surrounded with love and information and Boo is doing so well. He is still non verbal but is learning sign language a lbit at a time. He is 5 now and a constant joy. Very loving and full of joy.

You are so correct about what is important in life. And the well being of our families shoudl take priority. Sadly, many realize this far too late.

I wanted to wish you a belated happy birthday as well! I too am just a big kid at heart, especially over holidays and birthdays! May this year bring you great joy!
Heart 4 My Home said…
You are so very right...life and family are way more important than money, things and what others see you as needing to be. You are such an encouragement to me through your wonderful words. Thank you.

~Blessings
Marci said…
She has been such a miracle child, that we will keep on praying that She will only improve. Give her a smooch on the cheek from Aunt Marci.
2 LMZ FARMS said…
This lil wee one sure has been through alot. Will continue to pray for her and all of you. Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Renee said…
Well said. Thank you.
Unknown said…
Thinking of you all today. How is the little one? Hope all is well.

Love,
Anabella - Chloe's mom

Popular Posts