My Biggest Problem in Life

Most of my readers know that I tend to think a lot. I want to figure out all that I can in life and at times its much like driving circles in a round about. The plain and simple truth to most of my wonderings has to do with spiritual things. I want to get it right, only "right" has a few shades of gray in it, if you measure it against modern thought, oh old thought too, but right now with the way information is spread so quickly, its all around us.
Here is my truth....If I decide to take the Bible literally, which I believe you should, then I really will live a very old fashioned, peculiar life compared to 99% of the population around me. That is hard, no one wants to be peculiar. If I decide to live with the mindset that "oh the Bible is not all that literal and much of it was written for that time period and blah blah blah", then I can pick and choose and be exactly what is comfortable for me. I don't have to do anything I don't really want to, because I can excuse what I don't like away by saying, "that was then and this is now".
Sort of develop a comfy religious experience. I can look at this religion and that religion and pick what I like from them and say to myself, "well, God is in everything". Pretty soon I am not sure if I am coming or going. Pretty soon, it all seems made of shades of gray.
Now please, this is my thinking, my personal experience so don't think I am trying to push my thinking off on you. Not my intention.
Taking the Bible literally for me, means things like, Ephesians 5:11 "Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible".
To me, that sort of rules out lots of television, most of it really and many books. And accepting sin as just another approach to life. Reading the police report would even be out !
Then there is always this one and I hate this one, my own self just hates these verses, rebellion I suppose. Taken as literal, meant for everyone, and thinking about how it was practiced continually until after the pilgrims, it just doesn't fit in with our modern thinking, especially the part about women being under a man. Women carried on this practice in church until the 1950's. It just makes you so different ! Of course I am talking about 1 Cor 11 and the headcovering bit. I have yet to see all men with shaved heads, if covering refers only to the hair.
Frankly, I just would rather excuse these verses as out of date, not for us, etc. So much easier. I did it for years and remember all the looks and questions and comments about "oh how quaint".
But I also remember it was a reminder to me, to think more about my actions and even think about what I was thinking. It kinda kept me in line.
Then I thought about something. Here I have been admiring the brain activity of Buddhist monks, thinking about the better immune systems of devotees of Tai Chi and wow, guess what, those monks with the good brain activity, well think about the lives of these lama's that were tested. Not exactly mainstream. Living in caves or monasteries, no job, no money, no bills, no family, not a care in the world except getting the next meal from generous people, which is not all that hard since everyone wants to do good for a monk. These fella's get to pray all day long and meditate. I suspect if my life was a total life of prayer and meditation on God's wonders, my brain activity would be a bit different than it is today. These fella's dress pretty different too, against the tide of the modern world. The tai chi thing, well if we take time to work hard, physically I mean and live a life of prayer and compassion, I suspect our immune systems would be a lot better. So there is a way, most of us just don't choose it. If I really walked with God, followed the teachings of Jesus, prayed, lived as He taught, not worried about things, not worried about tomorrow, meditated on God's goodness, had real peace in my heart. Felt more love for others, had compassion for the unlovable, etc, then I suspect I would be filled with an unspeakable joy and calmness. The reason there is the saying, "Christians are the only people that shoot their wounded" is simply because we don't live with the mind of Christ ! We simply do not surrender everything ! I sure don't. I don't want to give up the things I enjoy or the things that make me blend in with society. I want to know what people are talking about, and not be naive. I like to be well rounded and yet God really wants us to be single minded after Him. I don't want to look different and stand out. I want to be thought of as thinker. I want to know about the latest theories and philosophies. I want to fit in to some extent. Here it is for me, laid out in a couple words..... I WANT !!! The main part of that.... " I"

Comments

Marci said…
Pat, I think your post speaks for a lot of us. Christians often do shoot their own wounded, but they have forgotten the plumb line.... the Bible!! If they shoot you down for being peculiar they think it some how makes it OK that they are not. They want to argue (the disputable matters) which we are told not to do.

We just watched a movie the other night called The Time Changer. It was about a Seminary professor from the late 1800's that wrote a paper. He wanted an endorsement from the seminary for the book. One man on the board did not want to give the endorsement because he felt the man did not go far enough. To tell someone it is wrong to steal is not enough. WHY is it wrong to steal... The Bible (our plumb line) tells us that. He goes forward into todays time and is apalled at where "the Christians" are, let alone where the world is. It was a real reminder of the TRUTH. Not the truth that we sell to ourselves as we pick and choose like you said.

If there are enough of us being peculiar, we would at least have each other to be odd with. =)
The Stricklands said…
I struggled so long with wanting the approval of others at any cost. I think I love getting older because I am more comfortable with the person God made me to be. I am much more at peace with submission, simple living withing our means, caring for my home, and loving on those who are not very lovely. As we raise our younger children, I want to be mindful of their character, not their wardrobes. God loves me so much that He is never tired of working on me!
I'm okay with finally with being peculiar, because I've been shown my wicked fallen from adam nature. The flesh doesn't want to stand out, be uncomfortable in eyes of the world, but as Christ conforms you more toward His image, and dwells with in you, your spirit crys out for His will to be done and not your own. Two years ago I lived with every excuse not to be obeident to God's word, and still feel as though I'm "okay." The point is that Grace is a given from the Lord alone. Those He's chosen will recieve it, and to live according to His holy word, and obey His commandments will not be a heavy yoke to bare. You'll desire to obey these things because of Him who has regenerated you. You'll seek to please Him, and not care of what the world may say.
Peace, Kris
Patty said…
Hi Kris,
I did it for years, more than I can count, be peculiar, dress plain, cover etc, but I grew weary of it. Grew weary of explaining, of being different and I am not a fashion kind of gal. Its all a got to do with where our heart is.
tiffany said…
I find this journey that you are on interesting. :) Maybe because I am on one of my own. I wonder if we will come to similar conclusions, totally different ones or none at all...
I am a Christian, but not a fundamentalist. I really don't think you can take the Bible literally. But if other people want to believe this, it is their right to their own freedom of conscience. I just wanted to say that if you believe that God's revelations, which resulted in the Bible being written,were always filtered through the culture and the individuality of the writer, it doens't quite mean that you can just pick and choose what you are comfortable with. The Bible teaches religious truths, I believe, and we have to try to understand them. Sorry not to be clearer.
Cat said…
This is something that's been on my mind a lot lately as well. We don't dress ultra-conservatively (though I was raised that way) but feel we still are considered peculiar even at our church, primarily because we homeschool.

Then in the entertainment arena, I absolutely love murder mystery/suspense type stuff. I find myself going round and round about whether this is okay or not.

Your post is thought-provoking, as usual.

And BTW, thanks for letting me know when Melanie and Casi were married. I went back and enjoyed the wedding photos. Is there a quicker way to do that other than scrolling through all the months of the year backwards and hitting "older posts" repeatedly?
Aunt Jenny said…
You ARE a thinker! I love to read your posts...I guess I get so busy just doing what I do and stuff that I don't really do as much deep thinking as I could. I feel strong in my beliefs and have a strong testimony of the gospel..but I love how you really dig in and mull things over and wonder about things more than I do. You inspire me!
Cat said…
Can I ask something? Do you ever wish you could "turn off" the thinking? I think and usually overthink things and sometimes just end up overwhelmed with it all. Sometimes I think (oops, there I go again!) life would be easier if I just didn't think about it so much, but how?!?
Patty said…
Oh yes Cat, I often wish I didn't think so much ! Life would be so much easier if I just accepted things blindly : ) But, then I wouldn't be me ~
Unknown said…
The religion itself isn't what's important, it's who and what you are and how you affect everyone and everything that is. Life is to short to waste worrying about things that you'll never figure out. Love, laugh, share, live and enjoy.
Patty said…
Hi Miss,
I see it differently than you do. I believe that I will figure it out, and I want to figure it out. I want, maybe need is a better word, need to figure it out for my own peace of mind. I want to worship God the best I can. And if you have read my blog long enough, you know I do laugh plenty and enjoy life so much, feeling so blessed beyond words. And sharing, well thats what this blog is about, sharing my life with my family. In the Bible, David spent his entire life, trying to figure out the ways of God and how to best serve Him. I share that same goal....
Leslie said…
"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part."..."For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." (1Cor.13:9,12) These verses should keep us humbly seeking His face, questioning, thinking, praying to see more clearly. A song I learned when young around the campfire still burns in my heart as a prayer: "Day by day, day by day, Oh, dear Lord, three things I pray: To see Thee more clearly, follow Thee more nearly, love Thee more dearly, day by day." Press on fellow pilgrim!
Patty said…
Thanks Wetherill ! Just the verse I needed

Popular Posts