Greek Iced Coffee

I have been drinking iced coffee for most of my life, yes, even as a child I could have iced coffee, admittedly it was more iced milk with a touch of coffee when I was a child but still it was coffee.
In time I grew to love Greek Iced Coffee, with all that foam. Nice and strong, it packs a good punch in the caffeine department. I recently sent Melissa a jar of the European Nescafe so she could make some for herself. Yesterday she needed the recipe. Which in turn prompted me to re-post this recipe. Its good stuff, really it is, if you like coffee iced that is. I make mine with a couple sugars and milk. I don't remember where I found the recipe : ( Give it a try, you will find yourself with a bit added energy !
Its floor waxing day around here so a tall glass is in order, sipped slowly with deliberate appreciation for the delightful taste of it, while sitting at our little cafe table outside, watching the cars go by and letting the floors dry. Maybe a little music too. It is the good life !

Frappe -
Iced Greek Coffee
The Frappe is a way of life in Greece. It is a wonderful way to drink coffee. A wonderful drink even when not in Greece - simple to make and a great pick-me-up.
Ingredients
1 1/2 tsp instant coffee (Nescafe is the most popular brand)
1 1/2 cups cold water
Sugar to taste
Milk
Ice Shaker or Blender
Directions:
In a Frappe container, cocktail shaker or blender mix together
2 Tbs water
2-3 ice cubes,
coffee and sugar to taste
Shake contents for about 30 seconds or blend for about 10 seconds.
The result should be simply foam.
Pour into tall glass half way filled with ice.
Add remaining water and milk to taste (some drink Frappe without milk).
Put in a straw.
This recipe makes enough for one serving.
sketo – not sweet = no sugar.
metrio – medium sweet = two teaspoons sugar
gliko – sweet = three teaspoons sugar
Note - many believe that the European Nescafe tastes better than the US variety. And I agree.

Comments

Victoria (Vii) said…
Sounds yummy! I love iced coffee and will be trying this recipe this week!
mikesgirl said…
Patty - where do you get the European Nescafe? Thanks for the recipe!
Patty said…
Most of the time I use the Classico which is the mexican nescafe, its just about the same to me as the european variety

Popular Posts