Miracles


As much as I do question and wonder, there is never any doubt in my mind about God existing. Never any doubt of His love for me.
I have proof in my eyes that He does. Miracles have happened in my life that are extraordinary, not ones to just excuse as a "well it could have been" sort of thing.
Lost in the mountains of Vermont on a camping trip, fell down the side of a hill, met a bear, he left us alone, did not get cut up from falling down a small mountainside, prayed to see a light that would lead us to our campsite. Two girls alone in the dark in the woods in October, after the camping season. And within minutes we see a light up the top of the hill, I kid you not. We scramble up the hill towards the light, the very thing we prayed for. There at the top are three young men. That in itself could have been a dangerous situation. Three young men, two young girls in the woods, no one around. But no, these three young men told us they would take us to our campsite. Only one spoke. He assured us that he knew where our tent was. We tried to make small talk but they were pleasant but didn't say much. Soon, the young man held his flashlight out in front and we saw our small fire burning and our tent. We were so happy. We skipped ahead a tiny bit and then turned to ask the young men if they would like a brownie as a thanks for saving us, and yes, you probably have guessed it, they had disappeared. We walked a bit down the road, there was no way they could have gotten too far ahead in a couple seconds time. But they were gone. Angels, I am sure. Whenever doubt enters my mind, I remind myself of that story and of the very moment God spared Melanie's life. A small girl, so sick, they had called a code on her, and had the needle poised and ready to inject her heart. In that second, with me right next to her, I prayed, God, she is yours, not mine and in that split second, all her vital signs became normal. The Doctors and nurses could not explain it, except that it was a miracle. For years, actually all my life I had told God that I would never understand His love if he took a child from me. I knew it was something I personally could not handle. I even told Him that if He ever did take a child from me, I would probably curse Him. When Melanie was dying, I thought of all that I had said through the years and finally realized that my children were God's children and He was giving us opportunity to raise and train our children. When I surrendered Melanie, knowing God knew best, knowing I would not hate Him if something turned awful beyond words, in that very second, God restored the life in Melanie. It was a miracle. There are many more miracles that have taken place, but these two are my mega miracles. Ones that cannot be attributed to chance.
Oh there is one more....Emery came home from work one day when we lived in California and told me I needed to go home for the holidays. He was going to be working lots of overtime and along with that he felt impressed I needed to go back east. He got tickets for the girls and I to be "home" with my parents for 6 weeks. We usually discuss things like that but this time he just felt impressed that this was something that had to be. I went home, had a wonderful visit with my family, stayed with my mom and dad, the girls loved being with their Mimi and Papa. I missed Emery so much but there was the nightly phone calls. After the new year the girls and I said our good-byes at the airport and flew home to Emery. I went to bed that night and was awakened by the phone. My mother had died. She had not been sick, she just suddenly died and I had just had 6 wonderful weeks with her. That was a miracle too. I am so glad Emery had listened to that small voice telling him to get tickets for us to go travel to New England and spend that time with my family.
Then there are all of Mei-Lings miracles ....
There is the every day miraculous events, breath that enters our body, births, love, safety and so many little things that we fail to notice. The miracle of life itself. The miracle of how we hear, see, touch, smell and speak. God is Good.

Comments

Carole said…
Oh yes, God is good. I could have ended up in really bad places and situations, with the wrong people and lots of trouble. I have stumbled along the way - and I've come a LONG way ; and here I am today, a happy mother and wife in a balanced and loving family. I praise him daily to have watched over me and loved me in spite of all my flaws and indecisions and rebellions. I truly understand what "Amazing Grace" is. Thank you for this post.
Deborah said…
Patty,
I am in awe of the events in your life that you have shared. Yes, I agree with you. I KNOW my God lives! It is an encouragement to all Christians new and mature, I am sure. Thanks for sharing. Deborah

Popular Posts