The View is Changing


While the coffee was filling the kitchen with its wonderful smell, I stood at the back door, looking out at the trees, the garden and beyond, to the woods. In what seems like a very short time, the trees have all filled out with leaves, glorious green leaves. The mornings mist has graced the grass with greater vibrancy. The view from the back door is changing as the last traces of winter get pushed aside in favor of spring.
In the new part of the garden, stubborn grass pokes up faster than the seed we planted, its an on going battle to see if nature or man will win. When I was walking through the garden center the other day I saw a woman buying a large container of weed and grass killer and mused at how easy that would make our life, but there is not a way in the world you could get us to use something like that...we have worked so hard at keeping our land organic. We won't even use any treated wood near the garden area.

The coffee was soon ready, calling me by its rich aroma to sit a bit and enjoy some breakfast, toast with sun dried tomato basil soft cheese. A couple books to visit with, a candle to chase away a bit of the dreariness of this damp morning. Chores await me, little hungry chicks, anxious goats, silly ducks, old hens, and of course the cats. Large tin cans collected from a local business sitting in a pile by the garden gate, waiting to be freed from their labels and rinsed, then placed around the youngest tomato plants, keeping the worms at bay.
Some more flowers to be planted and then the morning is mine. Maybe I will stop by Emery's office and chat with him for a bit, that's what friends do and he is my best friend. I just love hearing his voice as he talks to me, and watch his eyes dance with expression. Well, actually I just love everything about him. Just a little tease here to get your curiosity up, someone in our family will soon make a very exciting announcement !

Comments

Dana and Daisy said…
Oh man, I almost skipped the last sentence, can't wait to hear the news!

This post made me think of so many things to say. You have an enchanting life Miss Patty!
nancyr said…
Another baby?

I would not want to be under that "leaning tree" in a big windstorm!
Mimi said…
Oh man...when do we hear the exciting announcement...and who will it be?
you are quite the tease aren't you!!!
Mimi
Patty said…
Hi Nancy, we keep giving that poor old cottonwood tree one more year, but we know for sure it will have to come down this fall. It was a twin and the other tree had to be cut down and now this one keeps leaning more and more. We hold our breaths each storm, wondering if this will be the one to bring it down. We are all so fond of this tree, its hard to part with it
Anonymous said…
I'm hoping that we can get a real veggie garden going this year, I can tell its going to be financially tight and this is just the incentive I need to not let grass grow under my feet!

Popular Posts