The New Simple Living Fad

I think all this new talk of "Simple Living" is becoming just another fad for some folks,(disclaimer here, not talking about anyone in particular) just one more thing to keep up with. That requires you to buy a whole bunch of new things to replace the things that don't look like they belong in a "simple home". You might even have to re-decorate your house . And for some, a marketing bonanza. Just one more thing that if we are not doing, makes us less than in our own minds or according to another. It is so much more than just a lifestyle. Its a philosophy, a direction, a statement of what is important to us. It's not simple, not really. It's just living without buying into all the hype and for some, myself included, its a spiritual life. Not just a way to spend less money or to live "greener". If your life is emotionally complicated, putting on an apron will not make it simple.
For most folks that live the simple life, it works best when husband and wife are in one accord on the idea. Hard to live the simple life when one person has totally different goals or looks at this simple thing as just another passing phase.
Simple living is a concept with a very broad definition too. What is simple to one person is not the same to another. Some folks are leaping into homesteading life, thinking its the ultimate simple living in much the same fashion as the old television show Green Acres, not a clue as to what they are doing and that is costly, frustrating and many times disastrous and just maybe one person in the family is not interested at all in that way of living.
Maybe because we have lived this way so long, its hard to understand why some folks are making it so complicated.
I was raised in the city, no farm experience, but I did listen to my grandmother share stories of how things were done in the olden days. I was fortunate enough to be born in a time when no one had clothes dryers, dishwashers, dozens of exotic cookbooks, computers to pull you away from cleaning house and on and on. I knew how to cook, clean and take care of a baby. And I set out to marry a farm boy since I wanted a farm life. God gave me just the right man !
I read books about the pioneer days and decided their problems were not so bad as the new problems society was creating for itself. Such as the growing lack of ethics, the decaying of the moral code that most people had ascribed to in the past. I think that is what pulled me into wanting a life different from the suburban rat race, and I suspect that some of the desire to go back to the "simple life" is really just a desire to gain some of the moral ground we are loosing.
Hanging clothes doesn't make your life simple, but stepping back and thinking about what life was like when everyone did hang clothes might give us a feeling of peace. Rather than having your young children playing violent video games that make them think fighting is fun, you might have them outside with you, pulling on your apron strings and catching butterflies. Its not the clothes hanging that will change your life, its the kind of life you are giving yourself and your children. No children at home, well, then hanging clothes gives you a moment of peace in which to think and to learn to smell rain coming, or see a bird you need to look up in a book to identify.
Planting and working a garden is hard work, hours of work and gives you dirty fingernails, rough hands, and stiff knees at the end of the day. Not one simple thing about it. The blessing of it is in the satisfaction of putting on the table, fresh foods. Putting on an apron isn't going to give you a simple life. A simple life is in your heart, in your goals for life . I could live a simple life just about any place, even without goats or chickens. The homestead part of my simple living is just one application of it, just born of a desire to train our children to work when they don't feel like working, to be outside more than inside, to see the results of nurturing a sick animal back to health and to be too tired to get into trouble. And now that they are grown and gone from home, we have a second generation to share this kind of life with and we want to stay healthy. Keep strong bones and muscles from using them. To know we can live in the midst of a full blown depression with less impact on us than most folks. To be self sufficient in some small way. To keep ourselves away from the "must have" mindset. To sleep soundly at night because we are bone weary, to wake in the morning refreshed and clear headed.
But still, I think I could live a simple life in an apartment in Manhattan, because I am pretty much content to just walk down the road of life smelling the flowers, wherever they bloom. It might not be my ideal, but I think what is in my heart would not change.
The goats, chickens, wood stove and clothes line don't give me a simple life, my thoughts do. My desire to live humbly is the motivation for me and for Emery. This life is our joint goal. Its not just me wanting to take on the latest fad and have to buy a whole new set of props to make it all look right.
Simple living can become just another fad, just another set of rules to go by and they can be a huge burden if its not your real honest desire in life and harder yet, when those you live with are not on the same page.


Comments

Dana and Daisy said…
It reminds me of Tolle's comments about when a person becomes enlightened to their ego, often their ego takes on the role of their enlightenment, and attaches itself to being "more enlightened" than others. I think many people want to live simply because they see it as a way to be different or in some way superior, as in being able to live without conveniences makes one stronger. I see it (for myself) as being able to distance myself from the crowd and making choices about my life that are unpopular... like as you say, feeling comfortable in your attire even if others think you are odd. This phase in culture also reminds me of when people were moving to the mountains back in the 70's, as though that would solve life's problems. Very interesting post Patty, it has stirred my thinking.
~Bren~ said…
I think you were right when you wrote in a post that simple living is different for everyone. I believe you are successful in the goal of simple living if you are able to let go of anything in your life that has an unhealthy control over you. Anything from a shoe fetish to a frivoulous diet. In my mind simple living's opposite would be frivolous living. Too many of us have been living that way for too long. If it appears a fad for those who have done it effortlessly their whole lives, then that is sad. It can be a tool to allow people to be set free from those binding ties. You are a great role model for those of us who want to live a more freeing life.
I have to say also, though it does not make my troubles disappear, putting an apron on makes me feel pretty darn good.
Julian said…
i really like this post. I see where you are coming from and I agree with you. I think for me, it comes down to a choice every day to live simply. Sometimes this can be hard. A big birthday party for a child, or just a small family gathering. A big fancy meal, or just a very simple yet nourishing one. One more video, or maybe some color books. That is what simplicity is for me, since I do not live on a farm, although in many many ways, I envy you. I would love to live on a farm, and not just for the romanic aspect of it, but for the hard work, and all the satisfaction that brings. To get away from this rat race everyone is in, and to raise my children in a better way. I often wish I could talk to you, and gather your wisdom about what decisions you made with your kids.
Christina from Tx.city
Foxy5 said…
amen.
I've felt like this whole "going green" thing is just a marketing ploy to buy more. (Though there are some good things to take out of the going green thing I think a lot of it is just for money's sake)
My husband and I are re-evaluating our lives. What do we want to teach our children? We will be having a massive yard sale, getting rid of toys and movies and just THINGS that do not bring forth good fruit.
Simple is better. Less is more. We're getting there.
Enjoyed your post. :)
Ed Mahony said…
Patty

Thanks for the inspiration.
Although I wish I lived a much more simple life, it is challenging and welcoming to read posts like yours.
I visited Vietnam a couple of years ago. What struck me was the simple way these people live. Above all, you see so many real smiles and gentleness (even though they are hardy and hard-working people) that you don't see over here in the West nearly as much. They, also, have great sense of humours. Of course I am generalizing. But hope you get my point. We can learn a lot from people in such countries. I think ..

Popular Posts