Spring time busy-ness










Sometimes, mostly when I am bone weary, I have to remind myself that the seemingly endless tasks of springtime will not last forever. Lazy days of summer will arrive soon enough. The new life of spring requires extra work, both of the animal and vegetable variety. It doesn't matter that you are tired, you still have to get the new plants in and then cook the evening meal. The pay off is always visible. Its in the way the seeds spring forth from the rich brown soil, so green. It's in the way the flowers bloom and the leaves appear. It's in the way the goats delight in a treat of pruned apricot branches. In the sight of the first butterfly fluttering overhead as you scrub the chick feeders outside in the sun. The delights of spring inspire you to keep at all the work, knowing the newly planted seeds will grace your summer table with food, even into the winter and those tiny plants will turn into juicy watermelons, eaten outside, spitting seeds with no regard for manners on a hot summer day.
Cleaning the winter cobwebs from the hen house gives you opportunity to peek out a small hole in the wall, where a knot in the wood fell out making a perfect little window. A birds eye sort of view. I watched a hen lay an egg and heard her cackle, announcing to the world that she did a profound thing. The iris still blooming in splendor grabbed my attention for several moments, their intricate beauty soaked in, there is nothing making me rush...just steady work.
An plane flew over head, noisy, but it made me look up and I caught a view of the sun peeking through the new leaves, spring leaves, a welcome sight after months of naked vein like branches reaching into the pale winter sky. I will sleep good tonight.


Comments

Marci said…
Great pictures Pat. I always enjoy your photography!!
Mimi said…
springtime gives new energy and new signs of God's beauty..in the opening of new flowers and new growth after the frozen days of winter..
QuiltingFitzy said…
I see Larry and Lurch have figured out bathtime!
Patty said…
they sure did figure out bathtime and now its hard to find a time when they are not in their pool
TorAa said…
With such "neighbours" I would like to come and visit. Wonderful
Dana and Daisy said…
For those of us who don't grow our own vegetables, it is hard to understand how much work goes into bringing food from seed to table. we might appreciate the blessings of provision more if we got our hands in the dirt to nurture it. (Speaking of myself of course)

Popular Posts