We are blessed as a family to have many old photos. Both my family and my husbands family seemed to love taking pictures. How glad we are that they did. And perhaps in the generations to come, our descendants will be saying the same about us.
Here is a picture taken the Christmas of 1944. I love looking at the stockings hanging off the mantle and how lovely the packages looked wrapped in white tissue paper. Something so peaceful in the setting. Not all commercial, but heartwarming. It seems we all strive now to achieve the store display look.

I remember going to Boston as a child and looking in the windows of Jordan Marsh or Filenes. It was magic to see the colorful displays. Now our eyes are so accustomed to seeing so much so quickly that such displays are only cause for a quick glance before we are bored and wondering where the nearest Starbucks is.
I remember people taking the prettiest of Christmas cards cut up at the end of the season to be made into ornaments for the tree the next year. Silver garland glued around the edges of the card and a piece of bright red ribbon attached to hang it from.
The simple delight of finding a big juicy orange in the toe of your stocking. We have lost something in this jungle of materialism. Huge gifts, credit card usage for their purchases. No mittens knitted by grandma for a present or little girl knitted hats with rows of fluffy white angora for trim.
If the gift isn't packed with action or sound, its just not appreciated.
I am all for simplicity, even with Christmas.

Comments

Sunny said…
Oh, I'm just a sucker for the Christmas decorations myself. One of my best seasonal things is to see the lights. Still a kid. They are everywhere over here. Nicely done too. I've heard rumors of a blue santa. Plan to go see him soon. Hopefully I can get some pics to blog.
Patty said…
My house has always been full of decorations, even the bathroom !
I would love to see a blue santa.
How are you doing ?

Popular Posts