Tonight I was reading someone's discourse on the stress of the holiday season. I could not relate. For me, Christmas takes on the delightful anticipation that a child feels. Making cookies, hot chocolate, buying or making gifts for those I love. Although I must admit, writing my Christmas letter was a bit of a chore this year as I usually like the inspiration of cold wintry weather to write by and this year, its just not arriving in Texas. I had to pretend it was wintry out !
Most years we have a huge German Christmas party. Many good friends, tons of German baking done. Every room in the house decorated. I love this event. I plan carefully and prepare so that its never overwhelming. Last year I had a wedding to prepare for the day after Christmas and that was far more challenging and fun than the German Christmas party. I looked at my daughters wedding as my biggest party yet and it was so much fun. I just was not stressed out, even though I had a house full of family and still had the wedding to prepare for.
I am wondering as I write this, that if personality has more to do with stress than the amount of work done during the holidays. I don't stress out much over anything. "Take it as it comes" kind of personality. I have fun whatever I am planning and roll with the punches for the most part. I think that may be the key to the level of stress we feel in regard to most things in life. Life is joyful and there is so much fun in doing for others. Not thinking about how I feel about this or that, but thinking about how much fun it will be for everyone, taking the "I" out of the holidays makes it so much more fun. I don't mind if things are not perfect, its more important to just enjoy the moment and laugh at life's little glitches.

Comments

Popular Posts