There is purposely no picture tonight to go with my thoughts. I wanted you to see through my words what I saw and felt tonight. It was a very warm day, much like a calm before the storm as a cold front is heading right for us that will by the middle of the week have our high temps in the 30's. I think today it reached 90 today which surely broke a record.
As the sun set tonight I decided to water the garden. It was so dry. I never remember having to water my fall garden before, but this year the lack of rain is record setting. As I stood out there in my short sleeve shirt, my long skirt catching the weeds around the planting beds, I listened intently to the sounds around me. A chicken clucking madly as she had somehow gotten out of our fenced property and now was panicky as the sun was gone and the chicken house was on this side of the fence and she was on the other side having no clue as how to get back home. She finally worked it out and got over the fence. Silence took over, no bug sounds this time of the year, but there was the sound of the water from the hose hitting the massive collard green leaves and the big broad leaves of the cabbage plants. I heard the sound of my bare feet inside my bright red mud boots as they sort of croaked with each step. An occasional breeze would stir the most stubborn leaves still holding onto the trees. I was doing summer time things, but the sounds around me held a late fall quality. It was strange. The moon appeared low in the west, a fingernail, bright and clear. One by one stars popped out in the darkening sky like little Christmas lights. I finished watering the garden, put the hose away and stood there a minute admiring the moon and soaking in the silence of the sweet night. Can't help but wonder what my evenings will be like in a couple days when old man winter comes to visit.
Gardening in short sleeves in December is a first for me.

Comments

Popular Posts