Show and Tell Friday


There are certain things in our family that are traditions for several generations. Bearing the middle name of St Clair is on and the other tradition is wearing this baby dress. In the first picture, my grandmother, Alexandra Mae born in 1902 is wearing it. She as about 8 months old in the photo. My mother wore that dress, as did each of my sisters and then I did too. My sisters daughter wore it when she was Christened in the Methodist church in 1971. Melissa Mae wore it when she was 8 months old as did Melanie. It hangs now in our guest room, needing some repair work done to it before Mei-Ling can wear it. Mei-Ling will be the 5th generation to wear this dress. I have always felt honored to be the one has this small frail piece of history to pass on to the next generation.
Please visit Kelli's blog to see all the others who are sharing in the fun of Show and Tell Friday
http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/

Comments

JEANNIE said…
I am just in awe of that christening dress for the daughters, what a lovely piece of family history and tradition you have there, and to show the pictures is just icing on the cake. Thank you
ellen b. said…
Those white christening dresses are so charming and detailed. What a wonderful treasure that has been used well..
http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/
LBP said…
What a great tradition! Beautiful gown.
Marci said…
What a neat treasure Pat. It is beautiful.

So who has the middle name St. Clair?
Kelli said…
What a beautiful dress, Patty and a wonderful tradition!

Kelli
Beautiful! You are continuing something very special that will keep your daughter connected to the family in such a wonderful way! And, she will always have a photo record to look back on. Thanks for sharing this with us!
Cassie
Susie said…
What a beautiful and precious family heirloom. How touching that soon five generations will have worn it :)
Dawn said…
Susie said exactly what I was going to say! :)

Can't wait to see pictures of the grand blessing in it. :)
nancyr said…
What a wonderful tradition.
I hope one of your kids uses the great grandmother's name as well as the dress. Alexandra is such a beautiful name.
Family traditions are wonderful remembrances of our ancestors.
Grancy
Barbara H. said…
"Frail piece of history" -- what a neat description. What a treasure!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts
Susan said…
What a wonderful show & tell to share with us. I just love stories & traditions like this. How very blessed you are to have the dress and the pictures.
Susan
Patty said…
Hi Marci,
None of my children have St Clair as a middle name but my neice does. My mother, my great aunt, great uncle, grandfather and great grandfather and then on up the line all had that middle name. Its now up to my children to use the name for one of their children !
Patty said…
I have plans on mending the dress so Mei-ling can have pictures taken in it.
Lori said…
That dress is a treasure to have.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. Feel free to stop by anytime.
Marianna said…
Family treasures like this are simply priceless. I find it interesting that your family carries the name St. Clair as a middle name. Clair is a traditional middle name on my father's side of the family.
What a beautiful dress and tradition...what a wonderful treasure you have!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your nice comment about my Friday Show and Tell!

Popular Posts