Being Industrious At Home


For the past couple months I have felt lazy. I suspect that with all the difficulties associated with Melanie's and the babies health, its worn me out some. But now, it seems hard for me to get back into the swing of things. There is a pile of books in the living room, a large one at that, waiting for me to decide to keep them or move them on. The pile has been there for days and that would have never happened before in my home. I have even been moaning to Emery that I want a clothes dryer. That's due to all the rain we have been having, but honestly, for me that is showing a sign of being lazy that is quite unusual.
I was thinking back to a time when folks kept their hands busy with different chores from sunup till sundown, and right now I fall way short of that. I understand why I feel a bit less than industrious right now and am quite comfortable giving myself room to recover from a few very difficult months of worry and spending so much time at the hospital, but at the same time I know I want to get back to the swing of things and spend my days accomplishing lots.
Yes, I know I could sit quietly and do hand work, feeling like I was being productive but still laying low, however, that's just not for me. I like to be doing physical work, the stuff that keeps you fit and healthy and at the same time reflects our lifestyle of being as self productive as possible. We have moved away from that and we both miss it. There is a time of readjusting when your children grow up and leave home. You need to find how to fit things in different slots. You decide what was done just for the children's needs and what you need to do for you, and this can be spiritual, physical and comfort wise.
So here I sit, at the computer, when in the next room there stands three stacks of books waiting for me to decide what to do with them. I suspect they will go back on the shelves....when I think about them, its too hard to part with them. That moment of being ruthless has passed.
Maybe a nice big glass of Greek Iced Coffee will give me a jolt of energy and I can get back into the swing of things.
I miss being industrious in the home.....it feels like its been too long since that was the norm. Must get back into the swing of things.
The signs of Emery's industrious nature, work gloves and a bit of lemonade for a break
The cat shows the same bone idleness I have been feeling !

Comments

nancyr said…
Maybe it is the lazy days of summer, but I, too, have been feeling lazy, and feeling a little guilty about that.
Maybe it is our bodies telling us to relax and think about what is really important.
Maybe we just have more time to relax when the kids are grown and on their own.
Maybe we should just enjoy our freedom, and know that this too shall pass, and we will be busy and wondering why we have so little free time, before we know it.
Grancy
Patty said…
good points Grancy and you know I think menopause has slowed me down some. I don't mind taking breaks, but I do mind the piles of books on the floor for days : )
Tina Leavy said…
sometimes we do need a little break..and ya know..having a dryer wouldn't be too too bad...that doesn't mean you still aren't putting in a full day of it..you are just having a little help along the way is all.(grins)..and hey..maybe you could have a little "book auction" on your blog..or ebay the books that you have decided to part with..or even donate them to the library...or to a local nursing home...just a few wee ideas.

Popular Posts