Summer Sounds

Today was a very typical summer day, except for the temperature. It was cooler than normal. But sitting outside in the afternoon sun made me kick off my shoes, feel the cool soft grass between my toes as I walked around the place and listen to the sounds of summer. Cicada choirs, singing in the trees, answering one anothers calls. A steady stream of tiny rattle sounds. That familiar buzzing sound of summer that my mother told me was the electric wires strung overhead singing their part. I hear a chain saw in the distance, cutting away branches of an old cottonwood tree. A fly buzzes around my head, children laugh next door, and leaves rustle in the light breeze. If I listened really close I can imagine my ears hear the cats yawn in the warmth of the sun. If it weren't for the chickens, I would lay in the grass and just let the day slowly pass by without a care and certainly without a list of things to do. But chickens pecking around my sun sleepy bones makes me opt for a place off the grass to do my lazing about. A hammock would be perfect, but we don't have one, we do have a lounge chair so that is my choice. Low to the ground, the kind that is almost impossible to get up from gracefully. Its almost better to tip over and get up from the bare earth than try to arise from this thing that folds on its own accord at the most inconvenient of times. No one is around, so it doesn't matter how I get up from this thing when the time comes. I am in my own little world and that suits me just fine for the moment. I want to hear summertime's song, without being disturbed. The rooster crows and the hens cluck but those sounds fit in well with the buzzing insects and rattle like bugs noises. At last I hear my own steady breathing, and its slow, deliberate. I count slow, in for 6, hold for 6 and exhale for 8. I loose track after a bit, distracted by bird songs. The singing too pretty to ignore. Summer sounds...makes you loose track of time... if you stop to listen. Simple stuff, rather ordinary stuff, just the way I like it.

Comments

Sunny said…
Saw an eagle soar this evening for at least ten minutes before he soared out of sight. He never flapped a wing the whole time.
Patty said…
Oh how fun to watch an eagle. I see lots of hawks and some falcons but not eagles in our neck of the woods.
Kinda makes you want to fly when you watch something like that
Marianna said…
Wonderful post. I've been sitting out on the back patio for about an hour after the kids are in bed each night and I really enjoy hearing all the critters.

I checked out some of your archives last night and realized that you live in my homeland. I grew up in Abilene. Went to school in Stephenville and still have my parents and grandparents around there. Reading your blog is sure to make me homesick every once in a while...but in a good way.

Popular Posts