Be A Kid Again

In the grown up world, we can get bogged down with so many things. Just simply understanding all that can happen in the world is enough to make your heart heavy, but... there is to be joy in our hearts and a time to leap with laughter and fun. Not long ago I joined in with some children that were at my home for the afternoon, for a water balloon fight. I got wet, laughed at their antics and let go of the grown up world for just a bit. You are all smart enough readers to know I am not talking about walking away from responsibilities or escaping adult life, but about grabbing hold of a moment in time to play, to laugh. Often times people equate holiness with seriousness, but we are meant for laughter.
No matter how old you are, don't loose the ability to sit on the floor and play a game with a child ! No matter how old you are, don't loose the joy of chasing a butterfly and never catching it. No matter how gray your day, remember the fun of kite flying. If you don't own a kite, you might just want to go buy one. There is always one in my car for those gorgeous windy days.
One of the most fun times I can remember was a day when the girls and I (it was before the boys came) took an ink pad, and each of us made fingerprints all over a paper and then drew arms, legs and faces on them. The girls made families, the smaller fingers made the children. We laughed at each new creation. I didn't stress out about the mess, just joined in and had fun. I am not sure why this one craft experience has stood out more than the many others we did, maybe we just were in a good mood for lots of silliness that day, I don't know.
But make it a point to laugh and play once in a while. Adults can actually forget how to play, how to find fun in building a block tower, or making dolls move around the dollhouse with purpose. Our imagination dies if unused. Dance under the trees with your little ones, sing silly songs and forget about getting your hair messed up. Lay in the grass and watch the clouds pass by. Just be a kid again for a couple hours and you the burdens of adult life feel lighter somehow.

Annikes buck kid, kicking up his "heels" on a sunny spring day

Comments

2 LMZ FARMS said…
I think people feel like if they joined the kids society would look at them and frown. I agree with you, everyone needs to join the kids and play. I also agree with you, I personally feel like that we need to learn how to take care of our own. I believe that us 'englishers' could take alot of lessons from the amish. I'm still praying for little one and all the family. I just know God is going to lay his healing hands on her and everything will be alright. Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Laura
Anonymous said…
Thank you Patty, a timely reminder for me :-)
Dawn said…
I needed this...thank you. It has been a rough few weeks emotionally and spiritually and at times I feel like I am going to crack! But I know if I just stop...and enjoy the simple things...like the fresh crisp air..an afternoon rain storm, children screaming in delight in the park with mommy and daddy, life just isn't so bad.

God Bless You!

Popular Posts