A Holy Experience

Not often is my breath taken away by reading a blog, but it was last night. It moved me to a place of deep contemplation, of searching, of remembering the times in life I felt that I was having a holy experience....and then it occurred to me that maybe part of my problem of late is that so few things seem holy. Holiness has become rare for me. I have lost that ability to sense the Holy in the everyday. I have disconnected from the feeling of awe, Holy Awe. I laid in bed after reading this blog and remembered a time in particular for me when my whole being felt surrounded by the presence of God, it was the most remarkable Holy experience in my life. I woke long before the sun was up, walked to the shore of Galilee, sat on some rocks, pulled my prayer shawl up over my head, saw the flickering lights from the night fisherman's boats, imagined the Lord on this very shore and prayed. The time stood still for me until the sky began to take on the color of the sun rising. Moment by moment, my eyes drank in more and more beauty as the bright orange sun climbed the morning sky, reflecting in the calm waters of the Sea of Galilee. The far shores now visible. The gentle waves lapping at the stone filled shore line by my feet. A Holy experience.
And once again not long ago, at Tuesday morning mass at the Holy Comforter Anglican church. The deep wood tones of the interior, the simple words of the service, the sanctity of the communion service and the realization of what it all stands for, it became almost too much for me, I could feel the presence of God. But what about seeing the Holy in the everyday.... the sun breaks the horizon here too in just as much splendor. A baby's first smile at her Grammie is indeed a holy moment, full of the miraculous. Isn't the gentle hand holding of the one you love, Holy ? Why have I failed to see all this of late....the answer is simple... I wasn't looking for it.
If you do no other thing this day, please oh please go to this blog and read the words and view the pictures. This young mother has discovered the deep and intense joy of seeing the holy in the everyday. It is a lesson for all of us, no matter what our faith is.
http://holyexperience.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular Posts