"I Shall Not Want"



For some reason, I woke with Psalm 23 running through my head. I learned these verses as a small child and as it seems to be with verses learned in childhood, they were never forgotten. It's harder to memorize now, so many other things competing for that space in the gray matter where memorizing fits in. New telephone numbers, new things on the computer, recipes, watching the television, new things to see in the store etc, they all take up space in our brains. In childhood, our brains are so free. From the time I was 7 years old until I was 18, there was a bible verse a week to be memorized. We did the same with our girls, only started them memorizing as soon as they could speak in sentences ! As I sit here typing, I am reminded that I should still try to memorize a verse a week.
Most of the time when I am thinking about the 23rd Psalm, its the 4th verse that I am needing, the verse that lets us know we are not alone in times of hard things. It's like a rock to hold on to in hard times. But today, this morning, full of sunshine, blue sky, not a cloud in sight, good news about the baby going to be fine, love all around me, good health, a life I dearly love, it is the second part of the first verse that makes me think, "there it is, there is the reason for simplicity" I shall not want. In the English language that small part of a sentence can be taken two ways. First, that with God, we will never want, meaning need anything, for He will provide our needs. He will care for us as a shepherd cares for his flock. But then taking those 4 words alone, you can look at it as, with a shepherd caring for us....we don't need to be wanting anything. Ahhhh, that is something we just don't like to hear. We live for wanting stuff in this society. Wanting new furniture, new appliances, new cars, new homes, new toys, new clothes, new things for our collections, new fabric just because its pretty or new yarn, (scolding myself there) new objects to fit our new interests in our new lifestyles.... the list is endless. So here those 4 little words could be reminding us, "don't want so much". Ouch !
In this psalm, God doesn't take David to a mansion, or provide him with gold. He leads him beside the things of His creation, still waters, green pastures. The very things I turned to this week in seeking out a place of peace and renewal. The table He set before him, was set in front of his enemies, to see how blessed he was by God. You know, " the proof is in the pudding" thing. The blessing wasn't shown by the amount of "things" but in how God made a safe place among enemies to spread a table of goodness. A safe haven amid enemies and yes, a cup that runneth over... that is plentiful, showing he has all that he needs. No shortage.
I never looked at Psalm 23 as a text of simple living, but it is. You simply need God and He provides the things that restore our souls. The last verse is all about the things that matter in life.
Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Comments

Jan said…
I am so glad the baby is doing better. It's scary when little ones get sick. God is good.

Popular Posts