Quiet Rainy Day




Have a bit of a scratchy throat so thought it best to stay in today. Take a few doses of NatraBio's Sore Throat Spray and just relax. Storms rolled in with darkened skies. Rain has been falling all morning, creating this wonderful atmosphere that seems a bit moody but its a good kind of moody. Slow paced, the kind of day that puts you back on the right tract. Its a day for introspection and hours spent just looking out the window watching the rain and thinking deep thoughts.A hot cup of cherry vanilla tea helps create this peaceful tranquil, yes that is the word I was looking for, tranquil atmosphere. The candle burns in the window by my rocking chair, chasing off the rainy gloom. I did some spinning for a bit, then found my way to a leather bound copy of "My Utmost For His Highest". Found this copy at Goodwill for $1, the spine never been cracked open. I have read Chambers book many times but not recently. It feels new to me, rich in wisdom and timeless in the message. I needed to read from this book today, and feel that often times books are meant to be opened to the very page that it opens up to. Today, that was true. It feels as if there are no accidents right now in my life, what happens is meant to happen. I opened up to "Taking Initiative Against Depression" and although I am not depressed, Chambers writes so eloquently about how God does not give us glorious visions, but He tells us to do the most ordinary things, showing us that the everyday things from Creation give us inspiration and we can always find Him in the simple things, no need to go to the extravagant to find our way. All humans suffer moments of depression, its one of the things that makes us different from the material world. The anger and violence that we see daily on the news is depressing, but always, without exception, the simple things of nature show us that life is full of beauty and hope. That there is a way to escape the sad things that bring us down. The beauty of a flower, the face of a baby, the trees bending in the breeze, a sunset or sunrise, the way dew sits on a leaf, baby animals, the beauty of an elders hands, showing the years of hard work and tender touches. My old rocking chair is waiting for me. The view from the window beckons me and I have more reading to do.
My favorite place to sit
Tea, candle and a good book, a view of deep green and the rain
My hand dipped beeswax candle, shining brightly

Comments

~Jennifer said…
I've really been enoying the pictures of your home. It makes me want to get busy and clear the clutter out of mine to make it a place I love being again.
Amy said…
I aspire to your life, Patty, I really do. We're working hard to pay off debt and I figure by the time I'm your age I'll be able to do it (mortgage and all debt paid off, nice cushion of savings). Thanks for inspiring me DAILY to keep on track for this goal!
Patty said…
Its a good goal to have Amy, to have your debts all paid. We have not had any debts in years and its made such a difference.
Patty said…
Just to let you know Jennifer, there are a few corners of this house that have clutter in them : ) But I do work to keep things under control. I was just thinking today that I have way too many articles of clothing and was remembering how easy it was to keep my room tidy when we were part of the mennonite community. Just had 5 dresses for everyday and 2 for church. Pretty simple.
Gina said…
Patty! I need you help. Please come to my house and help me make it as lovely as yours. LOL! I look at those photos and they calm me. I would love to have a cup of tea in that chair. Just lovely!
Patty said…
Gina, come to texas for a visit and have a cup of tea with me ~

Popular Posts