Having A Goal to Daily Make a Difference in the Lives of Others


Emery and I had a discussion about this subject yesterday. Wondering what a town would be like, or a community, if everyone in that town had a heart to live their lives to make other folks life better. Imagine what it would be like to know that your neighbor was that kind of person, or the mayor, or even your entire family.
To look for ways to make life better for people around you. To not think to yourself thoughts like, "oh they are managing o.k." or "I hardly know that person". But to bring that meal to the neighbor who is elderly or just home from the hospital. So many little things can be done too but we often fail to even see the needs of others.
When your sister is painting a room in her house, offer to baby sit her children while she gets it done, or offer to help her paint. Take the trash out for the elderly neighbor. Tell your employees they are doing something good, write a note to your child or spouse telling them you are proud of them for something they do daily or tell them you appreciate a character trait in them. So many little things can change a life.
Offer to help an elderly person or a young mother load groceries into their car. Send a note to an extended family member to see how they are doing.
Imagine if every single person made it their goal to make a difference in the life of another, every single day ?
The picture is of Saint Zita, a young maid who always sought to help someone, every single day. She had no money, worked hard, had little time, but made a difference in so many lives.
I found the picture on line at http://www.umilta.net/zita.html

Comments

R. Aastrup said…
Patty...did you ever read the book "In His Steps?" It's about a community that did just what you're talking about. The sequel too it is "What Would Jesus Do?" That's the question I continually ask my students, and encourage them to ask themselves. Making a difference is my sole purpose in life...
Patty said…
Hi Rondi, haven't read that book, will have to look for it.
You my friend have made a huge difference in many lives.
Andrea said…
I wish that people were more willing to help out around here. There have been times that people have walked out a door right in front of Eric and I and he is pushing a stroller and they don't hold the door open.

Then there have been times I've been trying to get out of my Dr's office (it is within walking distance of my house) and am struggling with the stroller and trying to get the door open (I always seem to forget to back up and push the door open with my butt and walk backwards through it!) And I've had people watch and do nothing. And I'm struggling to get a door open and push a stroller at the same time. It sucks!
Aunt Jenny said…
that reminds me of the boyscout thing..."Do a good turn daily". I can't remember if it is the oath, or what, but I like it.
I am lucky to live in a very sweet small town where people generally do still help others alot. There have been alot of examples of that in my world this past few weeks.
I like that goal...and I am going to try to live it.

Popular Posts