Six Books...A Challange to Share Six Books of Impact


Last night, quite by accident, but then I often wonder if there really are accidents in life, I stumbled upon a blog that is simply profound in the photos and content. http://walkingthewall.com/ (please go check out this blog, its wonderful.)
I was looking up "Mongolian Spots", they are coloration's on the lower back and backside of babies that look like bruises. Mei-Ling has them and I wanted to know about them. There was a blog that popped up on the search I did for "Mongolian baby pictures". I thought that might just bring up a picture of Mongolian Spots on a baby. Anyway, you know how searches go, they bring you to things that can either be wonderfully enlightening, or whatever.
I stayed up way too late reading this blog, looking at all the photos, deciding that Mei-Ling has a double out there and truly having my mind stretched.
One of the entries in this blog shows a picture of 6 books and has the caption of "six books that impacted/impact my sense of spirituality". I went to bed thinking about that statement and trying to pick out six books that impacted/impact my sense of spirituality.

I would love it if my blog readers would share their list of six books on your own blogs and let me know about it or just put your list on my comments. What a wonderful way to grow, by sharing such a list.

Here is my list .

"The Bible"

"The Art of Happiness" by the Dalai Lama

"Healing Anger" by the Dalai Lama

"Don't Sweat The Small Stuff" by Richard Carlson

"What Happens When Women Pray" by Evelyn Christenson
and lastly a children's story book about Mennonite family life "Safe in His Care" published by Rod and Staff, this is the book that sent us on a journey into the Mennonite world. Although no longer on that path, it will always remain an important time in my life for so many reasons.
wait.... I need to include a 7th book..."The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. Yes, I still love that book and the entire concept of " the Law of Attraction". It does work.

These books are not in the order of impact on my life, and in honesty the order of impact changes from time to time so therefore I am not putting them in any order. Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet" is another book that influenced me greatly as a teenager and has stuck with me through the years.
At present more than half of these books are not on my book shelves, lent out right now.
The wonderful old quote says, "Books, like friends should be few and well chosen". Of course my concept of few is a few big bookcases full.
When I enter a home and see no bookcases, I feel sad. If the bookcases are just hidden away someplace, well that is better than not having some, but it kind of tells me that books may not be as high on the list of things loved as maybe the television and that too is sad.
one of my less than tidy book shelves.

Comments

Gina said…
Years ago, I visited the childhood home of a college friend. Her dad was a librarian/curator of Patee Library's Rare Books Room. This house was a wonder! Bookcases EVERYWHERE! I was delighted.

For me:
The Celestine Prophesy, James Redfield
The Story of B, Daniel Quinn
Inner Revolution, Robert Thurman
The Art of Happiness, The Dali Lama

I'm sure I can think of two more. Interestingly enough, I'm not sure that the bible would be one of them...
Amy said…
As a librarian, I love this challenge! I can't possibly narrow it down to five, but here are the ones I turn to regularly for inspiration:

1) Living in Love/Alexandra Stoddard
2) You are Your Choices/Alexandra Stoddard
3) Total Money Makeover/Dave Ramsey
4) Simple Abundance/Sarah Ban Breathnach
5)Younger by the Day/Victoria Moran
Juanita said…
Don't know if you were able to find anything in your search but here are a couple of places with info:

http://www.drgreene.com/21_833.html

http://www.drhull.com/EncyMaster/M/mongolian_spot.html

I have an adopted dd (she is now 22) who was born in South Korea, arriving when she was 10 wks. old. Dh and I had attended pre-arrival classes for parents to help us prepare for the arrival of our children...one of the things they told us about was the mongolian blue spot...so we wouldn't be upset, thinking it was a bruise. The first time I bathed dd, I DID forget for just a split second, and was startled when I saw a big bluish bruise-looking mark across her lower backside.

Love the pics of Mei-Ling. :)
jodi said…
The only book that I can think of is The Blue Flower by Henry Van Dyke.
Unknown said…
Hi Pat,
17 years ago when my husband was deciding whether I'd be good wife "material",lol, he handed me "the power of myth" and "the prophet" to see if I'd like them...I did:-) Good choices!
Love,
Karen
R. Aastrup said…
I visited that blog. You're right. It's incredible!

As for books...I'll have to think about that...there are many...but one that stands out is "A Severe Mercy," an amazing spiritual journey by Sheldon Vanauken a friend of C.S. Lewis. "The Cost of Dicipleship" is another (by Dietrich Bonhoeffer). The Bible, of course, changes my life on a daily basis. I am reading "The Message" right now, although I have a study Bible that I love, too. I think I'd have to say "Education" by Ellen White informs my professional life considerably. And just about any of Ann Kiemel's books (the first I read: "I love the Word Impossible" gave me purpose when I first started teaching.)

I could go on and on. Perhaps I'll do that in a day or so on my own blog =)
Shellie said…
You had me wondering a while back when you first mentioned the quote about books being few and well chosen. I feel much the same way you do about a home without bookshelves. I've even made sure the kids have bookshelves in their rooms for their own collections that we pick up at library book sales and garage sales.

I'm not sure about the 6 books. I'll have to think about that one.

Popular Posts