Hello Again

Sorry there are no pictures for this post and the last. I have been taking lots of pictures lately but without my computer hooked to the Internet, things are not running very normally.
I feel like some part of my life is missing without blogging and answering all my email. This aspect of communication is important. It provides me with a greater sense of community, which in our high stressed, maxed out society, community is just not a part of most folks lives.
I would love to walk the street in the evening shopping. Young parents with wee ones in prams, falling off into sweet dream land. Sidewalk cafes filled with chatter. I would settle for the life I knew growing up. Sitting on the Piazza as my grandmother called the front porch, all of us drinking large glasses of iced coffee, extra chairs for the neighbor who would most surely stop by to join us. The evening hours lingered on with good conversation, a bit of gossip and just watching people.
I watched Under the Tuscan Sun this past week-end. No matter how many times I watch that movie, I still find a gem of wisdom in it, and love it more. I felt that longing for a life of friends eating together without it being some major production, or sitting on the steps in town, surrounded by people you know. I feel blessed that two of my three children are close in proximity to us so there is family around, but I miss cousins, aunts, uncles, people you have known for your whole life. The ones you don't have to explain things to about your life, they know that you had 14 teeth pulled at age 7, or that you walked your dolls to the nursing home and loved the old people there.
I don't even know the names of my neighbors to the south. I would have welcomed them when they moved in, but they seem so private and so busy, most times they hardly wave back. Or they turn away when we look their way, avoidance of some sort, the kind that is common today.
So we in our need for community, turn to the Internet. Its not a bad thing, its just not the same as in person friendships.
I am off to the gym, working out and then doing my Tai Chi class. Maybe the gym is a bit like the center of town. Maybe.
Hope to get the computer up and running soon. I am ticked off at Microsoft, for putting Vista out when it has so many problems. They should have gotten the kinks out before they ever put it on the market.
Miss Mei-Ling is now over 10lbs. What a cutie she is, smiled at her Grammie three times now. Oh I have opted for Grammie instead of Mimi. Mimi just didn't feel right to me, that was my mother, and in my opinion, no one could even begin to fill her shoes. Even after 20 years I miss her so much.
One more thing, went to Goodwill yesterday, they had a surprise 50% off sale and I got an Oleg Cassini jacket for $4. I was so happy.

Comments

nancyr said…
You are so right, that blogging fills a void, that community used to fill.
I never thought of it that way, but if fits.
Until I was 11 years old, I lived in an an apartment with my parents, and brother. We knew all of our neighbors, and everyone was friendly and kind. We move to a suburb, and a new housing development when I was 11, and once again, we knew every family on the block. It was such a great way to grow up, but that seems to be a thing of the past. My neighbors and I wave in passing, but that is about the extent of the "community" feeling. It is sad, but true. With both parents working and trying to have it all, both community and family have suffered. I hope the next generation discovers that family and community are more important than things.
La Tea Dah said…
Welcome back to blogland!

Popular Posts