Game Stop and Melanie


Sometimes you just get hit with news that makes you feel like you have been run over by a Mack Truck.
Melanie got a letter yesterday from Game Stop, the company she has worked for for over 2 years, telling her that she has been put on administrative leave because her family leave time is up even though she is still on disability so she no longer has a job. The letter mentions that she can reapply to see if there is a position open.This leaves Melanie with no health insurance which for someone with a chronic illness is horrific.We have no idea how she can afford her insulins, testing strips etc. Casi works for the Mennonites and they do not offer insurance. Simply, they need a miracle.

Comments

Amy said…
I don't even know what to say - what a horrible situation. I know that BCBS offers some low-cost insurance options - being without health insurance today is playing with fire. One major incident can destroy a family financially. Since Emery works for the same company do you not have health insurance, either?
Unknown said…
We whinge over here in the UK about our 'free at the point of entry' National Health Service but this would never happen here so we should surely count our blessings - I'm so sorry for her and hope that miracle materialises from somewhere and quickly as I'm sure stress probably doesn't help her condition
Anonymous said…
She may want to look into COBRA. It is specifically for these situations.

http://www.cobrainsurance.com/COBRA_FAQ.htm
Gullebarn said…
Second the COBRA comment. They have to offer it to her by law.
2 LMZ FARMS said…
I am so sorry to hear that. I'm in that same shape now. Yes, they have to offer cobra insurance to her but it is sooo expensive. I do two shots a day and I know how expensive insulin and strips are. My neice who is a doctor has really helped me since I lost my job. I know that when God closes one door he always opens another door.
Laura
Sharon said…
You may be able to protest with the Equal Employment Opportunity office on a discrimination charge. It could at least get your daughter some sort of cash settlement. She could also apply for Social Security disability. There may be social service agencies that will help with medications. Good luck and God bless. Sharon
Anonymous said…
I'm so sorry! Australia really is the lucky country in that we don't have to pay for anything like this. I truly hope (and pray) that a solution will be found very soon. Mei-Ling looks so beautiful - I love her chubby cheeks!

Popular Posts