Sunday Evening

As I walked towards the milk house, stainless steal pail swinging beside me, I noticed that the grass was actually crunching under my feet, and it actually hurt my bare feet to walk on it. Dry and brittle blades of hay colored grass. I guess bare feet aren't an option for a while now. Maybe in the morning it won't be so hard, provided some dew falls in the night and makes a little difference for a few hours.
Emery just came in with the eggs. He has taken over the job of gathering eggs in the evening, we like doing chores together. He stands at the fence, leaning over watching me milk and we share an easy kind of conversation and while he gathers eggs I always ask him from the hen house door, "How many did we get tonight ?" Often we walk to the house together, commenting on the sunset or the sounds around us. In winter, I grab his always warm hand and think about just how wonderful it is to have that warm hand of his to hold.
Tonight I took down the down comforter I bought at Goodwill yesterday for $4. It has snow men on one side and just a solid deep blue on the other. Its not quite a twin size, more like a throw size. Its filled with soft down, not a poky old feather sticking out anywhere. I stuck it in the washer this morning on gentle and felt confident it would come out just fine. A couple hours on the line in this hot sun, dried it soft and puffy. Brand new looking and smelling like all outdoors. How nice it will be to snuggle under this down filled delight on cold winter nights as I sit by the fire.
Its dark now, time to wind down. Kitchen all ready for the mornings baking. Its been a lazy day, but tomorrow promises to be busy and fun as I get to watch more porch building. I think the roof should go on tomorrow and maybe the stairs put up and then the back porch building will start.

Comments

Don Hendricks said…
Touching prose that places me in your yard with you, be blessed today.

Don in AZ
mikesgirl said…
Hi Patty - Love the pictures of the new porch process. Where is it going - on the front, side or back of your house?
Patty said…
this part will be on the side of the house and then it will wrap around to the back of the house, the back porch will have a gable roof and will be closed in with windows this fall
mikesgirl said…
Oh, that sounds so nice!! I wish we had a porch to sit and relax on - maybe some day.

Popular Posts