Another Hot Day, Good for Switchel

The heat seems to dull my brain and make me feel tired. Chores are just that, chores and done with little pleasure as the sweat drips down my brow and gathers around my collar, my hair damp, like my mothers hair used to get on hot summer days, strange how it is that something as ordinary as hair damp with sweat would make me miss my mother. I notice my hair smells like hers did and in an odd way, its a comfort, a familiar, a thing that ties me to her. Hard work and sweat are not to be ashamed of, work is after all, "love made visible". We work for those we love, at least that should be part of our motivation, if not all of it. I believe it is all of mine. Without working for my loved ones, I might just be lazy.
I baked this morning, a labor of love since the air conditioner is off while they are working and using a compressor. The kitchen was hot with the stove and the oven busy. We only have window units, which is all we need. We have such small needs and that gives me some sense of satisfaction that we can make due with less than what some deem necessary. On the kitchen table, bread that was made yesterday, and today a plate of whoppie pies for dessert. Supper was made by 9 this morning, just a quick heating up in the oven tonight is all that is needed.
Work on the back porch is progressing nicely. I suspect we will be sitting out there by weekend, enjoying the sounds of nature by moonlight. I will hope for a gentle cooling breeze that makes the trees sweep the air with that gentle sound.
I certainly enjoyed the new porch on the south side of the house this morning !
The men working are laboring in such heat, I wonder if I should make them some switchel, it sure helps quench your thirst but it takes a bit of getting used to.

Switchel
1cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup sugar or honey
3 teaspoons ground ginger
tap water to make 4 quarts
This comes from Nova Scotia and its a tangy combination of flavorful apple cider vinegar, molasses and ginger that really helps quench your thirst. Measure the vinegar, molasses, sugar or honey and ginger into a gallon size glass jar. Add cold tap water to fill. Stir it good.

Serve in tall ice filled glasses.

Comments

Aunt Jenny said…
Switchel reminds me of what my grandma drank in summer time. She was from the south (Oklahoma) and did it a little different...just cider vinegar, honey or sorghum and hot water..and then cooled it to drink..and always out of a quart canning jar!
I used to make switchel, but just with honey and vinegar.....I think I read about it in Della Thompson Lutes Country Kitchen. She's a writer I think you would enjoy, perhaps especially CK and its follow up Home Grown. They are sort of biographical but fictionalized memoir of growing up in southern Michigan in the 1880s and 90s.

Popular Posts