A Peaceful Day


This past week, we had some car problems, and the hot water heater died, but its summer and Texas and not sure you even need a hot water heater in summer here, water comes out of the cold water tap lukewarm anyway. You can take a shower without ever turning on the hot water. And then both Emery and I had some 12 hour "bug" of sorts that left us with stomach aches. All is well now, and we have picked out what hot water heater to get to replace the old, now dead one.
There are always things that pop up from time to time that take your attention and your money. We just feel grateful that we have the means to fix the car and the hot water heater. We feel blessed.
The porch is going to be finished in a couple weeks and then work on the inside of the house will begin in earnest. Things are getting done and it feels good to know that by the time winter arrives, we can just settle in and by Christmas time we should be enjoying a new baby in the family.
Last night the family gathered in the hospital parking lot, a great vantage point for watching the local fireworks without all the traffic, and we had our annual junk food festival. Its a once a year thing, where we eat candy and chips. A tradition we may not be proud of but we sure enjoy !
Mei-Ling grabbed "Papa" by the hand and said, "come" and of course he hopped up and another sweetie saw him stand and grabbed his other hand and off the three of them went....Papa taking them for a walk to explore. Two tiny pony tailed girls, one in a blue skirt, the other in a red skirt, delighted to have Papa all to themselves and enjoy his gentle ways and soft deep voice. We all watched them head off across the parking lot and smiled, that good kind of smile that knows what love is.
We ate jello "poke" cake, white cake with red and blue jello poured into the holes we made in the warm cake with straws. Topped with that chemical laden cool whip and covered with red, white and blue sprinkles. Another tradition for us and another only once a year food.
The little girls clapped their hands and cried out little words like "oooooohh" and "wow" when they saw the fireworks light up the night sky. I hardly watched the fireworks, the little ones were my delight to watch. And sitting there I felt such pride in our children. Good parents, good people. My love at my side, holding my hand...there was only one sadness, that Melissa and James could not be with us. We talked to Melissa on the phone while we were there, she missed us too and knew exactly what we were doing and what we were eating, tradition is good that way, its predictable and sure. Maybe next year they will be back in Texas and next year there should be more grand-babies and oh am I looking forward to that.
This morning is peaceful, routine. Goat milked, chickens fed, chores all done. Loving glaces exchanged as Emery and I pass each other while doing our work. The house is quiet. The washer going and I have hopes of getting things dry on the line before the rain arrives.
Life is good.
notice in the last photo, three iphones all busy, two posting to facebook I think and Steven was taking pictures ~

Comments

Anonymous said…
What fun! Those little girls are such darlings! I understand about ya'll missing Melissa & James. With 3 of my children living in Texas and us in Oklahoma, I miss the holidays filled with lots of chatter and love! My 2 children that live here, are always busy with their in-laws and friends. I'm so glad you have most of yours close by!

Grace & Peace
Pam
Marianna said…
I can't belive how grown up Elizabeth looks!

I love the I-phone pic. It reminds me of the editorial cartoon in yesterday's Dallas Morning News of a mom and daughter watching fireworks. The caption above the mother is "ah, finally something that is more interesting than the cellphone!" (or something like that.)

Looks like y'all had a fun time watching fireworks.

Marianna
Carrie J said…
The girls are so big! They are such little ladies.
QuiltingFitzy said…
The girls are getting so big! I'm glad they have each other as friends.

Have you considered a solar water heater? We love ours!

Popular Posts