Quite a Day




This afternoon we got a call from Melanie and I could hardly hear her, she was fading fast, and said, "Mom I need help". Emery and I flew out of the house and drove down the street to her house and honestly it was no more than 4 minutes before we were unlocking her front door and there she was passed out in the chair, totally unresponsive with little Mei-Ling standing by her calling, "momma, momma". Melanie blood sugar had plummeted. Pregnancy seems to play a crew game of extreme low blood sugars for her. They come on so fast too. Melanie has been diabetic since she was 7, type 1. Her pancreas just doesn't work. And for her, low blood sugars have been a problem. We called 911 since we could not rouse her and they were there in a matter of a couple minutes. Our town is fantastic for quick response and these folks are amazingly well trained. They had an IV going in a short time and had her on the stretcher taking her into the ambulance in record time, but honestly it felt like years to me. Emery quietly took Mei-Ling in his arms and walked her back to our house, calm and gentle as he always is. A man of strength. I stayed with Melanie until she was heading off in the ambulance and then headed off to the hospital. By the time I got in to see her she had come around but was shaking with cold and not feeling very well. It seems she had low blood sugar, ate like she should have but then had a pretty bad bout of morning sickness. Not a good combination. It was only a miracle that she was able to call us. I am so thankful for Gods mercy !
After Casi arrived at the hospital and I was assured she was going to be O.K., I headed home to find Emery and Mei-Ling playing. She loves her papa so much and she is the apple of his eye.
After many hours in the Emergency room, Melanie was able to come home but now we know this is going to be much like her first pregnancy. We will be keeping an extra close eye on her for the next 5 1/2 months. If you think of it, say a prayer for her. She and Casi are amazing parents and love children so much, they are both so brave to go through all this.
Maybe now I can stop and take a deep breath and rest a bit after a very long and difficult afternoon.

Comments

Sunny said…
Oh Patty, what a heart stopper-YOUR heart! Maybe she could stay with you when Casi is not home.
Marianna said…
She has my prayers...all of you do.
Val said…
I will keep her in my prayers. I just thank the Lord that she could call and you were there to answer. I know that was so scary.
Sarah said…
I will remember you all in my prayers this evening.


Blessings,
Sarah
Suze said…
you might think about getting one of those panic buttons that call emergency services...they mostly are for elderly people, but would help in her situation..

Sending prayers...
A heart stopper, yes.

Wondering if she could/should wear one of those on-a-necklace emergency buttons? Because even if she couldn't do a whole calling-on-phone, could she still push the necklace button in an instant, to get help... Just a thought.

Ohhh, I see that Suze had the same thought!

'Aunt Amelia'
Melzie said…
How scary, hugs and prayers for her during this pregnancy. Love, melzie
Renee said…
Keeping Melanie and all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
Unknown said…
Dear Patty

we ar eliving in Ethiopia and I ocudn t blog for almost a year, but htis week i discovered blogs are unclocked hehe

nice to see your pics again,

Rainy regards from addis ababa Connie Richter
Amanda said…
What a scary day! I will keep her in my prayers.

Blessings,
Amanda
Lisa said…
I am so THANKFUL you and Emery were home when Melanie called. Also thankful she was able to make the call. I know that was all so scary for mama Pat. I agree with the suggestion to get her an emergency button of some kind so she can page the ambulance directly and save some time.
Patty said…
Hello Connie, Ethopia, how exciting...are you going to blog again ????
Williams Arena said…
Keeping Melanie and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Wendy said…
I agree with Suze, Patty it might be a very good idea to get a alert button/pendant for your Melanie or some easy way for her to notify you if she starts to feel unwell.

Popular Posts