The Clothes Line Poem


THE CLOTHES LINE POEM
Clothes line was a news forecast to dry.

It also was a friendly link
For neighbors always knew
If company had stopped on by
To spend a night or two.
For then you'd see the 'fancy sheets'
And towels upon the line;
You'd see the 'company table cloths'
With intricate design.
The line announced a baby's birth
To folks who lived inside
As brand new infant clothes were hung
So carefully with pride.
The ages of the children could
So readily be known
By watching how the sizes changed
You'd know how much they'd grown.
It also told when illness struck,
As extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too,
Haphazardly were strung.
It said, 'Gone on vacation now'
When lines hung limp and bare.
It told, 'We're back!' when full lines sagged
With not an inch to spare.
New folks in town were scorned upon
If wash was dingy gray,
As neighbors carefully raised their brows,
And looked the other way.
But clotheslines now are of the past
For dryers make work less.
Now what goes on inside a home
Is anybody's guess.
I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign
When neighbors knew each other best
By what hung on the line!
~Marilyn K. Walker ~


I am happy to say, there is no clothes dryer at my house, only 4 long lines that let the sun and wind do the work.
I so remember as a child, my mother and grandmother hanging clothes while chatting to the neighbor as they did the same thing. Lines strung close to fence lines, making conversation easy. My lines are by the fence line too, put there decades and decades ago, and I suspect that on the other side of the fence, there once stood a clothesline.
Today is "whites day" sun shining bright, natures bleach. Bed linens and snowy white curtains, moving gracefully in the gentle breeze like great sails, perhaps like the ones on the Clipper ship that took my mothers Sea Captain great uncle from Nova Scotia to Boston, built so carefully by his brother. If you like, you can see photos of these two men in a previous post

Comments

Beth said…
I love, love, love my clothsline. We do have an electric dryer but it is very rarely used. When it finally "kicks the bucket" we will not replace it.

I have used a clothesline for the 22 years I have been married and plan on using it for at least 22 more. :-) Such peace can be found at a clothesline. After my coffee is started in the morning, my next act is gathering the clothes and then proceeding to the clothesline. Roosters crowing, chicks scrambling out from underneath Mama Hen to greet the new day, goats 'maaaing' for their morning grain and the sweet smell of clean, wet clothes going up on the line. Ahhhh......heaven on earth. :-)
Williams Arena said…
I used a clothesline for many years, then moved and never got around to putting up another one. This spring I finally got a new clothesline. Oh, how I love my clothesline. Beth is right about the peace that can be found at a clothesline.
Dana and Daisy said…
have I ever mentioned that our neighborhood covenants prohibit clothes lines? How unamerican is that?

However, I happen to know a few other rules being broken and no one seems to care, so maybe I should push this envelope??

Popular Posts