A Slow Day in A Fast Paced World


Gray clouds scattered across the sky in amazing patterns, sunlight poking through here and there. I feel so grateful to have the time to just stand and watch the sky change moment by moment. The recent rains have refreshed the grass and its a bit less "crunchy" under my feet. Tiny thin blades of new grass are appearing in the pasture, but will they make it through the triple digit temperatures that are in the upcoming forecast ? I love the beauty of nature, and the sheer miracle of how things regenerate and how effortless the grass grows and how sure it is that leaves will fall of the trees in autumn and return in spring. The older I get the more amazed I am daily at how beyond our intelligence Gods creation is. He has thought of everything it seems. A perfect creator.
I love the walk from the house to the milk barn. Goats are always standing at the gate waiting for me, and they bawl a bit when I divert my attention to the chicken house to let the hens out for the morning. I love swinging my milk bucket by my side, it feels a bit childlike, carefree in a simple sort of way, that makes you feel like skipping. I might have skipped to the barn this morning had it not been for the neighbor out working on his garden. I have no intention of gaining a reputation for being crazy ! The neighbor was putting some sort of insecticide on his garden, I could smell it faintly and thanked God right then and there that our land is higher than his and we never get any run off from their land. We have worked hard to maintain organic gardens and just don't want any of those nasty chemicals coming our way and seeping into our soil.
I didn't latch the pasture gate this morning, I often don't, but I decided to stop and take a picture of the little bucket I got for the girls to use to help me do chores when they are visiting Grammie and Grandpa's little farm....well, Licorice noticed the unlocked gate and made a bee line for the oak trees. Faith followed. Harry looked stunned. I put my camera on the shelf in the milk barn and rounded up the goats. They were not very happy to have me pulling them away from the big leaves of the Burr Oak. After I had them in the pasture, I locked the gate even if I was putting Licorice on the milking stand and giving Faith her grain. I fed the cats and kittens and watched them much their food while I milked the goat. Foam gathering quickly in the stainless steal milk bucket. A steady stream of goodness. I noticed the muscles in my arms as I milked and felt grateful that I am still strong and healthy.
In the house I strained the milk, cleaned up the equipment and poured myself a big tall glass of cold milk from the fridge. Good fresh milk from last nights milking. I popped two pieces of home made bread into the toaster and took out the plum jam I made recently to spread over the warm toast. It all feels right, this slow and easy morning.
I mopped the floors, Emery had spilled a bit gasoline in the hallways this morning when he was changing out the fuel filter on his car. I didn't mind a bit, I love that he is able to do so many things with cars. He is a wonderful fixer upper kind of man, it seems he can fix anything. To be honest I don't know what he can't do. He is extremely smart, brilliant really, and good with his hands.
Emery is so exceptional in so many ways and yet he is so humble.
Ahhhh, I have managed to "gush" a bit about my favorite subject : )
The day promises to be an easy sort of day and how blessed it is to have such days in this fast paced world we live in and how blessed I feel to have such love in my life.
I should have my car back this evening, all fixed and ready to do its job again.

Comments

Linda said…
What happened to the white goat I loved so much?
... Paige said…
I always enjoy your goat photos, they are a sure smile
novascotiagal said…
You made me think of a song from the latest film version of Charlotte's Web. It is one of my all time favorite books, and it has a bit in it where the doctor says a spider's web, like all of nature, is already a miracle, so who's to say what can happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urv7tyeJ7qE

"Ordinary Miracle"
Patty said…
My beloved Annike developed a health issue that caused her great pain and could not be remedied. She was my all time favorite goat and I miss her every single day I go out to the barn
Snaggle Tooth said…
Such cute Nubian goats! n Siemese- makes me miss the ones I used to have-
Lucky you are to have such a beautiful life!

Don't worry what neighbor thinks- you are special! (I'd be puttin on shows)
I enjoyed reading that. It is a familiar theme from you but the details are fresh. You caught the anticipation of a new day.
Carole said…
Oh, this all sounds so nice... homemade bread, jam, I can almost see them and feel the crispy bread...
and the fresh milk... thanks for these little moments of happiness.

Popular Posts