The Latest in Spring Arrivals




Time for new chicks at our house. While picking out my chicks this afternoon, I just couldn't pass up a duckling. It was so cute. So now, by the wood stove to keep warm, is a tub of little soft peeping babies. We will keep them in the house for a day or so, then move them outside to a safe and warm place for them in the barn. After a couple days, they don't seem quite as cute to have in the house, so its not hard to put them in the barn. Right now, I am content to watch them and listen to their tiny little peeps.


Farm Sounds

by Eleanor Elkins


Oh, the sounds of the farm, I remember them well,

The echoing tones of the big dinner bell,

The humming of bees when the buckwheat's in bloom,

The swish on the porch of a bustling broom...

Bright laughter of little ones high in a swing,

Lilt of a meadowlark, there on the wing,

The lowering of cattle down by the creek,

Shouting of children who play hide-and-seek.

I can still hear the chicks, the coo of a dove,

The plop of the churn...these are sounds that I love,

The mewing of kittens up in the hay,

Creak of the windmill late in the day...

The whirr of a mower cutting some clover,

A soft lullaby when the day's about over,

The galloping sound of a horse as he nears...

Oh, farm sounds will ever be sweet to my ears.

Comments

Popular Posts