Change



We live in a society that seems uncomfortable with change, not in the progression of things around us, as in technology, but with ourselves. In our appearances, in our thinking and about our times in life.

I have been thinking about the changes in my family. Emery and I will go from being just parents to being parents and grandparents. Melanie, Casi, Steven and Priscilla are changing from being newlywed couples into parents. A new phase of life. Melissa will be heading back to school so she is changing from being a working professional into being a student. Changes. All good ones, positive and full of excitement. Life is ever changing and that's a good thing. Only, on so many levels we are uncomfortable with the changes that take place in ourselves. Think about this paragraph from the book, "The Art of Happiness" by the Dalia Lama and Howard Cutler M.D.

"The acceptance of change can be an important factor in reducing a large measure of our self-created suffering. So often, for instance, we cause our own suffering by refusing to relinquish the past. If we define our self-image in terms of what we used to look like or in terms of what we used to be able to do and can't do now, its a pretty safe bet that we won't grow happier as we grow older. Sometimes the more we try to hold on, the more grotesque and distorted life becomes."

Think about that a bit, its not just about how we look or how able we are to jump and run as we age, but its also about accepting the roles we enter in life and about how much we can change our minds about things as we learn more, understand more, attain more empirical knowledge.

Imagine for a moment the given changes in the first paragraph, imagine Emery and I refusing to accept becoming grandparents. (sadly most of us have known a few of these type in life) I have the new babies call me Patty instead of Grammy or whatever. I never share with anyone I meet that I have grandchildren. I seek after the fountain of youth in every new jar of promise to do this or that skin care product. It would seem fruitless, ridiculous and certainly a topic of much gossip within my circle of friends and family. Now imagine that Melanie, Casi, Steven and Priscilla refuse to accept this new phase of life. Perhaps they want to party all the time, live like college days, free of responsibility. That too is unacceptable, horrible to even imagine, but we know that there are young parents out there that live life like that, unwilling to accept growing up and becoming responsible. Some even carry it over to their Grannie days. Old ladies pretending they are young still. Wearing clothes not quiet suited to their age. Make up of the 70's plastered on their faces. We laugh at them. Make jokes about them, but really its sad.

Just like we all want our children to grow up and act their age, not stay tied to momma's apron strings and not make a life for themselves.

So here we are, in a culture that worships the look of youth and we find ourselves caught up in this madness to maintain something that is just not going to work. Every once in a while I see a woman who is in her 60's or so, hair beautiful healthy steel gray, styled simply, perhaps just to her shoulders, pulled back in a pony tail, sophisticated look to it. Her clothing, matching who she is, comfortable in where she is in life. Perhaps a blazer, nicely pressed slacks, or a summer dress maybe. Shoes comfortable yet pretty. This woman turns heads still, but for all the right reasons. She has class, she has found the joy in being where she is in life.

We see a few women in this area with long long hair, just left down. I think long hair is wonderful and understand well the religious reason for not cutting hair. At age 20, this long flowing hair is beautiful, at 30, it starts to need some additional styling but when you reach 50 and 60, its time to put it up. Give that hair some style and flare appropriate to your age. Long hair, left down at that point in life, starts to take on the look of old "Hippie". And you get lots of attention for it, but not the kind you want.

Holding on to the past serves no one. Same as holding on to old "stuff", (not talking heirlooms here), just stuff....things that really are just bogging us down. The "oh remember this" stuff that has no real emotional connection.

Life is full of change, and change can be such a blessing. Welcome it, make the most of it, keep it in perspective, and find the best of it and use it wisely.

I am looking forward to the changes in my life....that doesn't mean I plan to sit in the rocker and just grow old. I plan to live, enjoy, embrace and look for the best in each new phase of this ever changing life. Life is ever changing as it should be. Don't get stuck in trying to stay in the place you should be growing beyond. With life's changes, comes growth, healthy changes, wisdom and opportunity to redefine yourself.

Comments

Sharon said…
Patty,

Interesting post although many of my best friends are old hippies & I frankly love that look!

Sharon
Anonymous said…
Agree with most of your thought-provoking post, Patty, except about the hair part! My mom is in her 60s and has gorgeous, thick, long, lustrous hair - not stringy and lank. I was blessed with the same hair and look forward to my later years so I can wear my long hair the same way! She gets tons of positive attention about it because it is so much different than most women her age - but it is gorgeous and thick and beautiful. It's one of her best physical assets!
Gullebarn said…
Great post Patty. I am struggling with some of the concepts you talked about. Having lost a bunch of weight and getting back into shape at 42, I wonder -- what do I do now? Not like I am going to start hanging out in bars again and flirting with guys. I've been channeling those feelings into things like running 5K's and planning for some triathlons. Things that will be a personal best accomplishment for me.
Patty said…
Amy, your mother is most blessed with hair like that. A rare thing for most ladies beyond 50.
Patty said…
Just to reaffirm, I am not against long hair on a woman at any age, just think as we age, most of us need to put it up or pull it back. I am old fashioned and like the look of older women with their hair pulled up.
Michele said…
very mindful post, Patty! As my "name" indicates, though, I've got long hair, down past my waist, and I'm 40-something. I have no intention of cutting it as long as it stays healthy. It's my trademark, one of the ways I stand out in my peergroup, it is just ME. I do anticipate it becoming thinner as I age, though, and imagine that eventually I'll have to pull it up more often but that's ok, too.
Marci said…
Hee hee.... I guess I will look like an old hippie. My hair is getting lots of gray, but so far Michael likes it down best. I understand your point though. We have seen those people out there too. We are who we are and we need to like that.
Marcie said…
Patty, I love everything you said about embracing change. Now, if only I could convince myself to let my hair grow in (not gray but) white, I'd be changing gracefully. *grin*
Shellie said…
Patty,

Thanks for this post. I really needed it today. (Keep comparing my body to what it was "before".)

I've been keeping Melanie in my prayers. I hope she delivers this little one soon and that all goes well.

Congratulations on the next granddaughter on the way.

Sorry I haven't commented more, Blogger wouldn't let me for some reason.
Texan said…
Isn't it wonderful that we all can see things so differently... one can see a person as not willing to age or change, another can see in that same person a wonderous spirit living life as it makes them happy :O)...amazing how differently we all see things. One of the many great things about life! :O)...

Popular Posts